Question 96 Mariner 200 EFI surging and loss of power. Please help!

New member, this will me my first post. I have a 96 Mariner 200 EFI on a 96 Procraft SP200 bass boat. I am a tournament bass Fishermen and run the boat at least twice a week hard. The oil injection was removed when purchased in 96 (I bought from original owner with 98 hours) I run rec fuel and mix 50:1 plus some TCW 3. Friday I had accidentally went heavy on oil mixture in tank 2. I always run heavy but this was more than usual. Saturday after a full day on Okeechobee ran roughly 55 miles, on my way in I switched to tank 2 about 3 minutes later the motor began to surge and also struggle to hole shot. It was intermittent, I could run up to 68 mph and then it would bog down to 60 then surge back up. It did this at all speeds and rpm. Never died. I went home and pulled the plugs, they were fouled. I put new plugs and ran it Sunday, same problem, intermittent surging and hard to get on plane. Sunday afternoon I drained all fuel out of both tanks, cleaned VST and hp fuel pump filter (both which were clean) I by passed the fuel tank and ran 2 gallons of rec fuel 50:50 mixed with seafoam from a gas can also cleaned plugs. Monday I ran the boat again, the surging stopped but it will bog down on hole shot and not get in plane (rev to about 3k then bog down. Can get on plane with passenger on bow) so it didnt surge but would hold me at 60 mph, twice it cleared up and ran clean up to 67mph then pull me back to 60. Also it now burns (or wastes) twice as much fuel maybe more. Checked plugs, fouled again. Tested fuel pressure was at 35. I checked compression exactly at 130 on all 6. It's a clean low hour well maintained motor. I am wondering if a injector is stuck open and getting to much fuel. Ran again today same symptoms but never cleared up and harder to plane. I am considering pulling injectors and having them cleaned and tested but I wanted to check here first. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!
    SN OG373534
    1996 Mariner 200 Magnum EFI
    96 Procraft SP200
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I wouldn’t think injectors would be intermittent, but not a bad idea to have them run thru the machine. Make sure all your sensors are still plugged in, check for any loose connections or grounds. Wonder if you don’t have a stator getting weak.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Welcome to BBC!

Moving your post to the CORRECT Forum for you.

Check and record fuel pressures:

-At idle
    -Under Acceleration
    -15/30/60 seconds after engine shutdown.

When was your Pulse Fuel Pump last rebuilt?

Important note: 50:1 is the correct mix for this engine. It's actually HEAVY for idle/low RPM operation. DON'T compound this by adding more oil to the equation- there comes a point at which the fuel does not flow across injectors and passages correctly (and what was meant to avoid a lean condition actual begins to CAUSE a lean condition).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thank you for the replies and helping move the post to the correct location! I appreciate the fuel oil mixture information as I did not know and have been running to much oil. I will do the suggested tests and post the results. Thank you for helping!!

5. Member
    Also the pulse fuel pump was done two years ago.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Might want to reference this thread (very important items ALL be addressed simultaneously... the "try this first and that later" approach very seldom works).

FUEL LINES AND PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    FIXED. Ambient air temp sensor failed confusing ECU. Replaced and running great

8. Member
    Glad you got it fixed! I’ve not found oil mixture to make a lick of difference on how they idle when all’s running right, all the way down to 32:1.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam21986 View Post
    FIXED. Ambient air temp sensor failed confusing ECU. Replaced and running great
    If like the ones I've seen it was reporting like 1.5 Billion Degrees F......