AVX 1880 rough water

Hey guys- curious what’s some of the roughest water you guys have had the boats in? Any issues with rough water?

2. Member
    I had mine on some bad stuff on Cumberland, it handled it , but my but cheeks did not separate for a day or two. I think I limited out on what the boat could take, if it even looks to gets bad , I head to the dock. Lesson learned.

3. Member
    I took mine out to break in the motor on the Friday before the 4th on the Lake of the Ozarks----ROUGH. Did well even with the motor trimmed down all the way except alot of spray over the bow. Once I was able to trim the motor up it planed out nicely.

4. Member
    How big were the waves would you say? I'm asking just because i feel like I am "babying" it to not smack any waves or anything. LOL I don't want to be worrying anytime i hit a wave.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by masterbasser View Post
    How big were the waves would you say? I'm asking just because i feel like I am "babying" it to not smack any waves or anything. LOL I don't want to be worrying anytime i hit a wave.
    Don't baby your boat, just don't completely abuse it or get stupid. If you are starting to feel nervous get off the water or in a calmer part of the lake and wait for the weather to ease. I have a 1980 and have taken it through some rough waters, however nothing that has had my butt pucker... yet.

6. Member
    I've hit some rough sections on the mississippi (1-2 footers, plus barge traffic) at full speed and been airborne more than a few times, boat lands well, and stays pretty level. I had a guy who has an 18.5 foot legend, which i have been in and thought rode well, and he was amazed at how well mine rode. My other partner has a 2017 Z19 and I'd say mine rides as well or better obviously not as fast as either of those boats though. I've touched 51 by myself with the current, 49-50 is normal by myself and with a big big load of people (myself 245, and I had 2 cousins in who both go well over 250 and all of my tackle and a full tank) and I still got 45 on a busy recreational lake.
    2020 White Vexus AVX 1880 Evinrude G2
    Ultrex 80 MDI iPilot
    Helix 9 G3N MSI
    Helix 9 G3N MDI w/ MEGA 360

7. Member
    That's awesome info, just what I needed to hear. Do you just trim the motor down and keep it down to plow through the waves?

8. Member
    If its barge or boat wake i usually just line it up and give'er, but if it's rougher water i'll trim down. It does cut the waves really well. It does a really good job of deflecting spray away as well, very dry ride, unless it's windy, but that's any boat.
    2020 White Vexus AVX 1880 Evinrude G2
    Ultrex 80 MDI iPilot
    Helix 9 G3N MSI
    Helix 9 G3N MDI w/ MEGA 360

9. Member
    I was in 2-3 footers on Lake Onieda back in June. An was in Keuka in May...it was bad. 3+ for sure. Some of the worst water I have been in.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

10. Member
    ^^ and how did the boat handle those size waves!? That’s what I’m curious on.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by masterbasser View Post
    ^^ and how did the boat handle those size waves!? That’s what I’m curious on.
    It did pretty well. In the biggest I had to back down to about 28mph or so. Kept the bow up and we were dry and we felt safe. I was running along in the mid 30's at that time, but it did beat up us a bit, so I backed off.
    I have fished a long time. That was top 3 of the roughest water I was ever in. Like I said once I learned with it, we felt really comfortable with it.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

12. Member
    Thanks guys, I was out on St. Clair Sunday and it handled the waves well. Again, I was concerned with damaging anything from hitting waves too hard or too often.

On the way in it was like a washing machine, between the wind picking up and the boat wakes, never felt unsafe or unsure.

13. Member
    I’ve had my 1880 on Toledo Bend in some pretty rough stuff. Those that fish Toledo can attest, 2-5mph wind actually means 12-15! Ha. During the big tourney there this weekend, fishing offshore, trolling motor was literally coming out of the water the swells were so big. The boat actually did very well and handled the waves good. Also, running it did well, and if you know Toledo you have to run the boat lanes no matter the direction of the waves, it handles big water pretty decent, although did get a little wet with a west/southwest wind (waves coming from the 2 o’clock position). Ha.

14. Member
    Yeah the same with me, with the wind blowing, it was blowing all of the boat spray up so I was pretty soaked.