Youth Inflatable Life Vest?

I am looking for an Auto/Man Inflatable life vest for my 12yo son, and 14yo daughter. They can both swim, but I prefer they wear something while fishing with me. They currently wear the standard USCG Type 3 life vests, but struggle to fish with them on, and they are definitely hot. I found one youth inflatable online, but they are not USCG Type3 approved. Has anyone used one of the Mustang, or Bass Pro vests for their kids? Both of my kids are 75-80#, and slender.

My son wears one of my Mustangs while fishing. Still make him wear a traditional vest when we move. The Mustang fits him pretty good for an 11yo, but he is big boned. Takes after me I’d find them any inflatable that will fit good, that you’re comfortable with, and keep the vests for while on plane.

Check your regulations first, not sure about what some of the states are like but here in Ontario ( all of Canada actually), you can’t use an inflatable vest until age 16.
    Triton Tr17, Yamaha 130
    Lund Pro V 1900, Optimax 200
    Smokercraft Pro Mag 182, Suzuki DF140
    Helix 9si, 10si mega
    Minnkota Talon, Terrova

Quote Originally Posted by Javelin389 View Post
    My son wears one of my Mustangs while fishing. Still make him wear a traditional vest when we move. The Mustang fits him pretty good for an 11yo, but he is big boned. Takes after me I’d find them any inflatable that will fit good, that you’re comfortable with, and keep the vests for while on plane.
    I think I will try to stop by Bass Pro to let them try some on. I definitely agree with still wearing a vest while Outboard is running.

Quote Originally Posted by Seguin Fisher View Post
    Check your regulations first, not sure about what some of the states are like but here in Ontario ( all of Canada actually), you can’t use an inflatable vest until age 16.
    I would have to check.

Children are too valuable to put in an inflatable. Their sweat is easier to handle then your own tears. Just my 2 cents worth.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seguin Fisher View Post
    16 years old here in the US too.

Well aren't you guys full of good news this morning Had no idea on the age requirement.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardnibbles View Post
    16 years old here in the US too.
    I did not know this either

10. Member

Quote Originally Posted by rodney_h View Post
    Children are too valuable to put in an inflatable. Their sweat is easier to handle then your own tears. Just my 2 cents worth.

I agree. That’s why I wanted to use an inflatable. They have regular vest that they wear while we are running. Honestly I get a little nervous when they are fishing. It’s easy to fall out when a wake shifts the boat under your feet. I would personally feel better knowing my kids have an inflatable on just Incase. They have a hard time fishing with the vest on.

Quote Originally Posted by Javelin389 View Post
    Well aren't you guys full of good news this morning Had no idea on the age requirement.

I agree. I would think an Auto/Manual inflatable would be safer than not wearing one at all while on the deck fishing.

13. Member
    Mississippi minimum age is 16 also

14. Member
    For just piece of mind how about one of the inflatable belt things that looks like a Fanny-pack?
    2000 Ranger R91I
    2017 Mercury 200 Pro XS SN:2B360040

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodney_h View Post
    + 2