Where’s my issue?

All: I have a 2012 ranger z521 trailer with disc brakes. On my starboard side I have no side running light or taillight, but the brake light and turn signal works. In addition, my brake isn’t engaging when stopping on that side either. On the port side of the trailer everything works as should including brakes. I am so clueless when it comes to diagnosing trailer wiring problems so I’m hoping you all might have some suggestions. TIA

Brake lights and brake operation are two separate issues. Surge brakes have nothing to do with your light problems.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Banned
    Trailer Running Lights Do Not Work but Brake Lights and Turn Signals Do Work. ... If the issue is not a fuse or relay then you can test the vehicle side trailer connector using a circuit tester such as # 40376. Turn the vehicle headlights on and use the circuit tester to test the pins on the connector at the back.

This schematic May help.
    As you can see, the brown wire that powers the clearance and tail lights wire splits near the tongue and runs down each side of the trailer. Perhaps one side of the wire is broken.
    Do you have electric brakes or hydraulic surge brakes?

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

5. Member
    Bill- they’re hydraulic surge brakes. It might not be related at all to the light issue but I just found it weird those brakes quit working when the lights did. Wondering if it isn’t something in my plug

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman11 View Post
    Bill- they’re hydraulic surge brakes. It might not be related at all to the light issue but I just found it weird those brakes quit working when the lights did. Wondering if it isn’t something in my plug
    Not in the plug. The marker lights all run off the same brown wire from the plug. It splits somewhere to run down each side of the trailer.

Brakes are mechanical.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Check either bulb first, which will give you a chance to check for voltage.

8. Member
    Check the grounds on the lights. Bleed the brakes