Thread: plugs in prop

plugs in prop

Have Triton 19xs 2014 repowered with 225 pro xs mercury four stroke running 3 blade 24p tempest. No plugs out gets out of hole pretty good tournament load half tank of gas live well full. Taking plugs out will increase hole shot and help on top end? Also mid range runs 5000 rpms 56 mph 5700 looks like i can get it 66 mph after that gets squirrely. Have not reached top end yet. Some people say they are running 26p props 74 to 76 same set up cannot imagine this. Would you all say I am good.

Venting is needed on 2 strokes... Some 4 strokes benefit from a little venting. You need to try it yourself. Vents have nothing to do with top end speed or rpms.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    That 24" prop will get you close to 75 if you can get 6000+ rpm's from it. You should be close to 70 at 5700 and it sounds like it may be mounted too low prop to pad if it that hard to drive.

4. Member
    As Mike said, taking plugs out *generally* helps hole-shot. By allowing exhaust to escape upon 'spin-up' it'll let the motor spin faster from the start, which generally provides better hole-shot. By opening them up TOO big you'll have 'blow-out'. Just have to play with your P2P measurement and PVS plugs till you get the right combo.

On my Tempest 25p I tried what I had on the Fury 26p and it INSTANTLY blew out. Three large plugs were better, but in some instances it'd blow out coming up on pad as well. Ended up with three medium plugs. Could probably change to 2 medium, 1 large now for a bit finer tuning. Then again, winter versus summer water makes a difference too.

Based on what I've seen with the new 4-strokes, I'm not sure I'd go with a bigger pitch prop. Seems they like a couple steps smaller pitch than the 2-strokes.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

5. Member
    YES IT IS THE LACK OF TORQUE FROM THE 4 STROKES thats y they need the lower pitchs