Converting Oil Bath to Grease Hubs - 2004 Rangertrail

I've got a 2004 dual axle Rangertrail trailer with the oilbath hubs and want to convert to grease. I've tried going thru Ranger to get the parts but it's looking dismal, does anyone happen to have the part numbers I would need to order from E-trailer or other online trailer part source? Appreciate any help.

2. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    I would call E-trailer they are good. They probably know what you need.
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pound4Pound View Post
    I've got a 2004 dual axle Rangertrail trailer with the oilbath hubs and want to convert to grease. I've tried going thru Ranger to get the parts but it's looking dismal, does anyone happen to have the part numbers I would need to order from E-trailer or other online trailer part source? Appreciate any help.
    Try TIE DOWN ENGINEERING, www.tiedown.com or 404 344-000.

4. Member
    If you have a trailer by UFP, they had tapered and straight spindles.
    My 2004 trailer which is a 2003 manufacture date made by UFP is a non tapered spindle so the bearing number for both inner and outer is L68149. Seal is a 473317. These are Timken numbers but other manufacturers use the same or you can cross it. IIRC, on the tapered, the inner bearing is the same as what mine are and the outer is smaller but I no longer have the info on that one.
    Outside of replacing bad bearings, races or seals, there are no other parts required other than bearing buddies.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

5. Member
    M-D If i read correctly your saying just pop off the cool hub sight glass and just use bearing buddies? I have a 02 trailer
    518 DVX

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Limit 5 View Post
    M-D If i read correctly your saying just pop off the cool hub sight glass and just use bearing buddies? I have a 02 trailer
    You need to drain the oil and clean / remove the oil from the hub and bearings and then pack the bearings with grease. You will likely damage the existing seals when you remove them so I would just get new seals.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M-D View Post
    You need to drain the oil and clean / remove the oil from the hub and bearings and then pack the bearings with grease. You will likely damage the existing seals when you remove them so I would just get new seals.
    Thanks for that information, I appreciate it
    518 DVX

I might suggest if you are going to Vault Hubs you drill and tap the hubs 10-24 in 2 places on opposite sides of hubs to secure cap. Very simple job. Go to Menards and get SS set screws and lock them suckers in place. You can step on them and they won't budge. Do several bearing jobs for friends here at the lake. Every one-cap is missing and bearings are toast. Which came first-chicken or egg??

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M-D View Post
    If you have a trailer by UFP, they had tapered and straight spindles.
    My 2004 trailer which is a 2003 manufacture date made by UFP is a non tapered spindle so the bearing number for both inner and outer is L68149. Seal is a 473317. These are Timken numbers but other manufacturers use the same or you can cross it. IIRC, on the tapered, the inner bearing is the same as what mine are and the outer is smaller but I no longer have the info on that one.
    Outside of replacing bad bearings, races or seals, there are no other parts required other than bearing buddies.
    Bingo! Just did this myself and confirm.

Just picked up my 2007 Ranger Trail Trailer from the shop yesterday from having the hubs swapped to traditional greased hubs. About to drive from South Carolina to California with it and didn’t want to take a chance with the Turbo Lube hubs that we’re originally on it. Some Ranger trailers have the tapered hubs (1 1/16th and 1 3/8th inch) and some of the straight hubs (1 3/8th inch). Mine were the tapered thankfully as they are cheaper!