402 Lower unit drop/thermostat replace

I've got a 1975 4277047 and would like to drop the lower unit to change the impeller.
    How do I remove the shift lever coupler in the bottom cowling under the carburetor (there is no access hole on starboard side)?

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by jimo; 07-10-2020 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Simplified and got rid of thermostat

2. Member
    Hello Jim’s,
    Shift throttle into forward and remove all nuts that hold the lower on, (I believe there are five), but make sure you remove the zinc trim tab and look inside In case there is one there. The shift linkage will separate from the lower..., no need to disconnect at power head. If you have speedo connected to engine, you will have to heat and remove at splice.

robinr

3. Member
    Thanks robinr, I was worried because the Seloc book said to remove that and I couldn't see how that could be part of "general maintenance". I'll go get it done now.

4. Member
    Nope, didn’t go as planned. The lower unit is separated and there’s a gap completely around it but it won’t drop.
    I lightly pounded in a small wooden wedge and it wouldn’t separate anymore somethings holding it up.

5. Member
    Hummm, I have one but will not be able to check it until mid next week. If you cannot figure it out or no one else assists you here I will provide you with what I find.

robinr

6. Banned
    With the numbers you posted I can't figure out what motor you have. But some older/smaller Mercs have a clip and latch(kinda of hidden under the power head) to release the shift shaft before the lower unit can be removed.. Here's a You Tube video of it. Watch the beginning..

Also, I think some older motors had an exposed shift rod with a hex collar/coupler mid way down the lower unit that needs to be unscrewed to separate the rod/s. Sorry if none of this applies to the motor? you have.

7. Member
    I sure would appreciate it! I'm stuck. I hope I missed something. If not, it's rust fused and that would be bad. I've brought this back from neighbor giving up on it. Rebuilt carb,
    replaced all fuel lines, starter and re wired the harness and got it running. I'd sure hate to give up now.

8. Member
    mxmike
    Thanks for the video! I double checked the serial # and its correct. I've got a repair manual and it says for older models to disconnect shift lever coupler which is similar to what the video says but mine is a horizontal lever with a hole that connects directly to shift rod and if it needs to be disconnected I don't know how. I've searched internet and can't find the info that'll help.
    I really appreciate your help!

9. Member
    that mtr does not have linkage like 25 above/ it is splined just above gearcase likely drive shaft rusted in crankshaft seen several
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    Thanks Joe, i think you're right. I talked with an old boat mechanic that does parts now and he said the same thing. I hate to give up but, this 1975 motor might not be worth it now.

11. Member
    Success! No linkage had to be disconnected. The lower unit is supposed to drop after removing 4 nuts, one is hidden under trim tab.
    Mine had the problem of the drive shaft spline being rust- fused together. I solved this by hammering in two chain saw wedges (with the ridges sanded off) a little each day. One in the front and one in the back. On the third day it popped! I wire brushed the spline clean and steel wooled the shaft.
    Motor runs great and thanks to the new pump and base pisses like a 15 year old just out of bed.

12. Banned
    That one hidden under the trim tab gets a lot of people.