08 250 Pro XS sluggish out the hole and 5k RPM at WOT...

S/N: 1B457630
    Dec 2006
    250XS L

Yesterday out of the blue I notice the boat (Ranger z21) is a little sluggish out of the hole. (Normally it will push you back in your seat if you lay on the throttle.) Sounds fine and everything and I get it up to 53-55 mph but that's at WOT and I normally don't have to have it wide open to get to the low 50's. Also, I'm only hitting a little above 5k RPMs at WOT. Honestly, I haven't noticed what the WOT RPMs were before since I didn't run it wide open hardly ever.

I am running fresh ethanol-free fuel, I always use Don's cocktail in every tank. Plugs were changed in Oct 19.

Other than what I describe above, the motor starts fine, sounds fine idling and when running, etc.

Advice?

Thanks!
    Last edited by cdc2010; 07-09-2020 at 10:58 AM.

2. Member
    I went and got a timing light to check if it was a coil issue. The timing light blinked on all 6 plug wires.

Not sure where to go from here...

3. Member
    Interesting. I have an 09 Z21 and feel like mine has lost a step or 2 as well. It was never a fast boat, but hit 65 one time. Couldn’t see that happening now with my current setup...but it runs mid 50s comfortably. I have a Trophy prop. Are you sure you don’t have any water trapped in the bilge anywhere?

good luck!

4. Member
    Air and fuel pressure testing is next.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoytkimbershimano View Post
    Interesting. I have an 09 Z21 and feel like mine has lost a step or 2 as well. It was never a fast boat, but hit 65 one time. Couldn’t see that happening now with my current setup...but it runs mid 50s comfortably. I have a Trophy prop. Are you sure you don’t have any water trapped in the bilge anywhere?

good luck!
    I'll check to see if there's water anywhere. We are coming off a huge rain, but I drained the boat at the ramp before I launched. Maybe I didn't get it all. I'd love for it to be an easy answer like that!

By the way, what type of RPM do you get at WOT in your z21?

6. Member
    I did a quick run with myself and ab adult passenger with pretty low fuel. We hit 59.5 mph @ 5200ish RPM. My hotfoot was pegged. I could have gotten a little more with some trim, but not much. I have a manual jack plate and have never touched it. It was also hot (90) and humid. My boat just seems so happy running 45 mph around 4100 rpms and handles a moderate chop like nothing that I have never been inclined to change it. I would not mind trying a tempest or bravo 1xs prop...

Just to be clear - I don’t think I have a problem other than an aging boat and engine and a top end that I’ve never dialed in. I spent the last week pulling 3 kids (same time) around on a large tube with no problems!

tim

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoytkimbershimano View Post
    I did a quick run with myself and ab adult passenger with pretty low fuel. We hit 59.5 mph @ 5200ish RPM. My hotfoot was pegged. I could have gotten a little more with some trim, but not much. I have a manual jack plate and have never touched it. It was also hot (90) and humid. My boat just seems so happy running 45 mph around 4100 rpms and handles a moderate chop like nothing that I have never been inclined to change it. I would not mind trying a tempest or bravo 1xs prop...

Just to be clear - I don’t think I have a problem other than an aging boat and engine and a top end that I’ve never dialed in. I spent the last week pulling 3 kids (same time) around on a large tube with no problems!

tim
    Actually, that makes me feel better. I had me and another 200 lb man on board and about 25 gallons of fuel (which is more than normal). It was hot and humid as well. I had my hydraulic jackplate in its normal position and had it trimmed up high like normal when wide open.

I just didn't know if 5000 RPM at WOT was normal or not. I did notice that I could reduce the throttle to about 45 mph and quickly hit it wide open and it would surge to 55 pretty nicely. Hmmm...

it is not not normal, need at least 5600 RPM. Prefer 5900 to 6000 at WOT trimmed out. I think you need to get this checked by a Merc dealer, Don't risk damage to the motor
    Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Member
    Going along with Leon’s comment —- I know that my setup never got me to max RPM at WOT. If yours did and now it does not, you should continue to see if there is a problem. I definitely see a difference in hole shot with number of passengers and temp:humidity.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Second to Leon's advice. And need to start with the BASICS: Compression Test, Spark Test (when hot), Fuel Quality, CORRECT OCTANE, Delivery and Air/Fuel Pressure Tests.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    I've taken it back out twice since my original post. There was a good bit of water in the bilge area from some heavy rains (even though I drained it for quite a while before we took off the other day). The carpet and everything had time to dry out. I went out alone both times and both times it was quite windy.

The hole shot seemed very snappy and normal to me this time. At WOT, I got it to the upper 5300's in RPMs easily. It was so windy I had to run in a large cove rather than the main lake, so I didn't have a lot of room or time to tweak the trim and get all I could out of it. I do think I could have gotten some more RPM out of it but cannot be sure.

I will keep an eye on it and test again when the main lake is calmer to see just how much RPM I can get. But right now it feels no different than it has the whole time I've owned it.
    Last edited by cdc2010; 07-16-2020 at 11:09 PM.
    ----
    Ranger z21
    Mercury Pro XS 250
    Lowrance HDS Live 12 and HDS Touch 9
    Ultrex 112 lb

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good to hear. A couple sunny days parked nose-high on a hill with everything opened up will continue to do a lot of good.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor