Single tail grubs as trailers on silicone bass jigs?

How many use these for their jig trailers & what’s the reason for it when there are so many different trailers on the market?

2. Member
    I've use them for a swim or finesse jig. Fat albert or kalins. good all around trailer. Good to use in deeper water as it will fall faster. had good luck on deep weedlines with long casts. Never had any luck with them on a larger flipping type jig. Sat down one night with some beer and wondered why not just swim the grub?? So now instead of a swim jig i use a grub. On a weedless jighead or texas rigged. I have caught a bass in just about every tournament (coangler) the last 7 years... On a jig/ grub combo.
    Kalins still makes a great grub. 3,4,5 inch. tail works well behind a jig(some grubs won't). Great colors. Especially if you wanna match up some perch bream colored jigs. Fat albert or yamamoto work better on a plain or weedless head.
    I really need to find a nice little swim jig with a smaller 3/0 hook and lighter weedguard. Some nice colors (smoke purple watermelon combos) and i will throw all the other jigs in the basement. With the way the weeds have disappeared the last 20 years here in the northeast, a flipping jig is a thing of the past.

3. Member
    I use them all the time on swim jigs.

4. Member
    Do you guys see a difference in bite quality as far as size when used behind a regular old jig ?

5. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I throw a swim jig during the summer a lot! I have one trailer that I really like the color of but I don’t like throwing a craw trailer when I’m trying to cover water fast. I’ve been looking for a new swim jig for a couple months and happened to accidentally order a couple single tail grubs.

These Strike King 4” Rage Grubs fit the 1/4-1/2oz size jigs I have really well and this jig has a very heavy hook for braid, works great and has lots of action on the retrieve. It still slows the jig on the fall but nowhere near as much as the crawfather.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

6. Member
    Bite quality... I like the jig grub deal for getting bites. Catches everything, I can also pitch it into clumps and catch stuff without switching rods. I do catch some real giants sometimes though, all on the weed fringes in deep water, sometimes 20+ feet. I almost think these bass are off the weeds some out past the weeds. A whole bunch of these are on maintenance casts to get a loop out.
    I prefer a smaller hook jig, lighter safeguard myself. If I need heavy line and hooks i will t rig.
    The nice part about the jig grub combo is its always fishing, even if you just feel it in slow.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alumicraft145 View Post
    Bite quality... I like the jig grub deal for getting bites. Catches everything, I can also pitch it into clumps and catch stuff without switching rods. I do catch some real giants sometimes though, all on the weed fringes in deep water, sometimes 20+ feet. I almost think these bass are off the weeds some out past the weeds. A whole bunch of these are on maintenance casts to get a loop out.
    I prefer a smaller hook jig, lighter safeguard myself. If I need heavy line and hooks i will t rig.
    The nice part about the jig grub combo is its always fishing, even if you just feel it in slow.
    I agree 100 % on the always fishing & the getting bites part too. By the last few nights results it seems to get more bigger bites compared to others & gets bites when the other trailers aren't getting bit too.

8. Member
    Single tail Kalins is still my go to. I guess the reason for me would be that it works. My biggest Mississippi river LM came at LaCrosse on a 1/4 oz Brovarney with a Kalin single tail at 6lb 8oz so I don't know about it just being a numbers bait. Have had numerous fish over 5 and still more over 4. Swimming a single tail on a ball head is a great smallie bait too. It's kind of like the tube of swimming baits, doesn't look like anything in particular but looks a little like everything that swims.

With everything else out there, I don't think there's a ton of people who throw them any more so I kind of think that helps too.

Like others have said, grubs are probably my go-to on a swim jig. Funny enough, I really have struggled to get on board with the Kalins everyone else seems to like. I have issues with the tails being too "ribbony" if that makes sense. They want to stick to themselves and otherwise seem to foul up really often for me for whatever reason. Instead I choose a BBB 5" finesse grub or Zoom Fat Albert; the funny thing is, even though the BBB is listed at 5" and the Fat Albert at 3", they're the same size. As others have said, grubs just work. When you see that tail kicking on the back of a swim jig, I think it looks an awful lot like how a bluegill swims through the water.

Another thing I really like about a grub (that I've mentioned on this forum several times) is you can change the depth your bait runs just by rigging it different. Rig it "normal" with the tip of the tail pointing down, a given jig will run shallower at a given retrieve speed. Rig it so the tip is pointing up, it pushes it down in the water column. The same jig at the same retrieve speed will run a foot or more deeper.

I know the OP didn't ask, but 1/4 oz Brovarney that willwork mentions is my go-to swim jig as well.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

10. Member
    Thanks guys.