Upgrade trolling motor vs electronics

Have a 16ft electric only bass boat no electronics and an older 24v 70lb thrust motorguide. Now I’m looking to get it set-up for tournament fishing eventually. A lot of the fishing is done in 15-25ft range, foundations, grass beds, points and other deep structures. Should I be looking for a spot lock trolling motor first or a good set of electronics (garmin 106sv or helix 10)

2. Member
    Pick up a used ultrex, and a used helix and your good to go. ALot of great deals in the classifieds on this site, and great guys to deal. Good luck!

If you can't buy both, and you can fish with the troller you have now, buy electronics. That will help you find the structure/cover. A troller won't.

And there are some deals on here, maybe you'd get lucky and be able to upgrade both

If you already have some electronics I would get spot lock.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

5. Member
    I would highly recommend a spotlock trolling motor over new electronics all day.
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

You have a working trolling motor and no electronics...I think the answer is pretty simple.

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    You have a working trolling motor and no electronics...I think the answer is pretty simple.
    Agreed! I would love a spot lock tm but I will put another graph up front before upgrading the tm.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

8. Member
    If you are already catching tournament grade fish in 15-25 foot without the electronics buy a trolling motor. If your looking for fish in 15-25 you better buy a graph.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

9. Member
    I’d get one of the Helix units first. That way you can “see” what you’re fishing and set up on it properly. You have a nice trolling motor for the electric only reservoirs that you fish. The Ultrex is a great trolling motor and that would be the next purchase. There is so much to see with today’s electronics. Good luck!

10. Member
    If can't find areas you won't have anything to spot lock on

11. Banned
    Trolling motor. I have one with and one without anchor mode. Not even close unless you want to drop it on their heads, in that case buy a lowrance graph.

Since you don't have any electronics but you do have a trolling motor, then I think you already know which one to buy.