Banned

Lithium Experience...

Long story, but the miller tech lithium batteries I purchased back in march finally made it to me. (Cross boarder covid crap). I've had 2 days with these batteries and they are amazing! Two 6 hour days fishing moderate wind and one is still at 80% the other at 76%. Just unreal zero drop in power, what I had at the start of the day is what I have at the end of the day. replaced 2 80lbs agm with 2 20lbs lithiums my hole shot is amazing and the boat handles much nicer. With my style of fishing, no way I can drain these 65ah down in a 8-10 hr fishing day.

2. Member
    Interested in their starting battery but at that price, I'll rather spend the little extra for Ionics

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    Interested in their starting battery but at that price, I'll rather spend the little extra for Ionics
    great priced here
    https://ampedoutdoors.com/collections/boat-batteies
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    Nice price for the 60 amp batteries for the troller. I’ll consider these when my wet cells are done
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    I had their 60aH starting battery briefly.

Didn't work well on my boat setup. Ran into over voltage issues, which caused boat motor to have a surge. Hummingbird units shutdown when applying throttle. Weird electrical gremlins.

AO explained to me some Mercury motors will cause this. They've been trying to work with Mercury to come up with a resolution but they aren't responsive .
    They stated other lithium batteries BMS allows them to absorb these over charging issues but sacrifices battery life. They aren't willing to compromise like those companies.

Got no issues with the factory wet acid or the current AGM. Other people are running their batteries fine with same motor.

They allowed me to return the battery so great service there. Liked everything else about the battery. Bummed it didn't work out.

7. Banned
    I’m still using AGM for cranking. I have a Yamaha so needs very little power to turn over

8. Member
    There's also talk that using a Lithium starting battery voids Yamaha warrenty

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pajoe329 View Post
    yes to this as well as mercury.....I have a mercury and I am using Optima 31 for cranking. I have 3-50amp Ionic lithium for TM and 1-125amp dedicated to electronics.
    2020 BassChamps Central Lake Belton 1st - Feb 2
    2019 Media Bass Individual Champion - Richland Chambers Sep 7-8
    2019 CAST Champions - Sam Rayburn Oct 19-20
    2011 BassChamps East Region Champions-Sam Rayburn Oct 1-2

2020 Bullet 21XRS 2020 Mercury 250 ProXS 4 Stroke
    Texas Realtor
    Helping Texans buy and Sell their Homes

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    I had their 60aH starting battery briefly.

Didn't work well on my boat setup. Ran into over voltage issues, which caused boat motor to have a surge. Hummingbird units shutdown when applying throttle. Weird electrical gremlins.

AO explained to me some Mercury motors will cause this. They've been trying to work with Mercury to come up with a resolution but they aren't responsive .
    They stated other lithium batteries BMS allows them to absorb these over charging issues but sacrifices battery life. They aren't willing to compromise like those companies.

Got no issues with the factory wet acid or the current AGM. Other people are running their batteries fine with same motor.

They allowed me to return the battery so great service there. Liked everything else about the battery. Bummed it didn't work out.
    Just curious what Mercury outboard were you running and what voltages were you seeing?

11. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Nice price for the 60 amp batteries for the troller. I’ll consider these when my wet cells are done
    So you'd need two of those for a 24 volt troller...right?
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    So you'd need two of those for a 24 volt troller...right?
    Yes, you'd need two. I've had two boats with lithiums now, first one was a 24V Ultrex and I had 2 x 100A Battleborns...worked out great and I never could kill them and I tried. My current boat has a 36V Ultrex and I went with 3 x 50A Ionics...again I don't think I'll be able to kill them in a day no matter how hard I try.

In the research I did I found that 2 x 50A Ionics on a 24V would be alright MOST of the time but that 3 x 50A on a 36V would be alright ALL of the time (at least with the type of fishing I do, either lots of current or the potential for lots of wind) so that's what I did. Also, the 36V Ultrex was only $80 more than the 24V and 3 x 50A Ionics was a little over $1100 and 2 x 100A was going to be like $1600 so it was actually cheaper for me to go with the 36V.

If I knew about the 60A's there's probably a good chance I would have went with those and a 24V Ultrex.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Yes, you'd need two. I've had two boats with lithiums now, first one was a 24V Ultrex and I had 2 x 100A Battleborns...worked out great and I never could kill them and I tried. My current boat has a 36V Ultrex and I went with 3 x 50A Ionics...again I don't think I'll be able to kill them in a day no matter how hard I try.

In the research I did I found that 2 x 50A Ionics on a 24V would be alright MOST of the time but that 3 x 50A on a 36V would be alright ALL of the time (at least with the type of fishing I do, either lots of current or the potential for lots of wind) so that's what I did. Also, the 36V Ultrex was only $80 more than the 24V and 3 x 50A Ionics was a little over $1100 and 2 x 100A was going to be like $1600 so it was actually cheaper for me to go with the 36V.

If I knew about the 60A's there's probably a good chance I would have went with those and a 24V Ultrex.
    I felt the 50ah in a 24v set up wouldn’t be any better then the 31 size lead acids I had. My thought was, why would I spend that money for the same performance. Not including the other benefits. On the other hand 100ah for my style of fishing would have been over kill and more money then I wanted to spend. Did some research and found Miller Tech uses grade A cells, well built and excellent reviews. They offer two sizes between 50ah and 100ah. 85ah and 65ah which is what I went with. So far 12 hours and the batteries still have another 12 hours of fishing if not more left in them. Glad I went with the 65ah rather than the 50’s. Just my opinion for what’s it worth.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pajoe329 View Post
    I’ve looked all over their website, the owners manual and the limited warranty section. No where does it mention lithium batteries. From a CYA standpoint I think a lot of companies might tell you the same if you called and asked.....just wondering if they really would given they don’t mention it at all.
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    Just curious what Mercury outboard were you running and what voltages were you seeing?
    2019 115 ProXS CT

While idle watching my Humminbird, it would be erratic. 13-16v. Then apply throttle and units would shutdown. Voltage never stayed steady when I started to realize what was going on. Took 3 trips until I noticed the voltage going wonky.
    Put a new AGM in. Voltage stayed steady. No surges. Units stay on.
    Last edited by BoatNoobie; 07-10-2020 at 02:04 AM.