Carolina rig for Lake Ontario

Hey guys,

I want to try using a Carolina Rig on Lake Ontario for smallies but am new to this technique. What would you guys suggest I use for the main line and leader? If i’m fishing between 20-30 ft how heavy of a weight should I use? Lastly what baits do you guys suggest for this technique? I looked at different Goby imitations that look like they will work but would love to hear some more opinions. Thanks!

2. Dogfish_Jones
    I always use 3/4 to 1oz weight when fishing that deep with a C-rig. The important thing is to always feel the bottom when fishing it. The weight does not affect the lure any but it sure does help you keep in contact with the bottom.
    I rarely go lower than 1/2 oz even in shallow water, just to keep that contact.

3. Member
    I've done a lot of Carolina rigging on the big lake. Really great way to fish up there. I learned c rigging from some great ones (tom Mann jr)Gotta keep it simple. Whole bunch of sinkers 1\2-1 oz. A lot of swivels. Beads. Main line and leader... Don't get fancy. Use the same for both. Get a quality 12-15# mono. Leader length as long as your arm. Hooks. Owner rigging hook 1\0 buy a bulk pack.
    Baits... My favorite is ZOOM... Meathead, fish doctor, speed craw, 5" lizard. May wanna add a tube and a spidergrub. Smallie beaver. I will leave colors up to you. Just don't leave out junebug, black/red flake. Bonus color to keep handy is sand.
    This is one of my favorite ways to fish. Just gotta keep your head in the game. Your gonna snag, your gonna retie. Since the leader and main line are the same, you got everything right in front of you to retie.
    I've caught bass on Carolina rig on lake George 90-100 ft deep. Rod choice is up to you. An old 7 ft falcon or all star Carolina rod are the best. Longer rod may sound good but with it you move the bait faster on your sweeps. Doesn't take a fancy expensive rod... Buy 2 of 3 rods on eBay cheap and have more than one for ready to go.
    I will be on the river a lot this fall. Thanks for starting this thread, I am gonna dig out the Carolina box this weekend.

Make up your leaders ahead, including swivel and hook. Keep them on a leader spool of some sort. Cabela's used to have some, also Lindy. Many are too small...I liked the bigger ones. When you decide to put a new leader on, clip off the swivel and hook and put them inside the spool, and put the leader in your trash bin. Use the hooks and swivels again.

I'm a big fan of Zoom's 5" lizard, because SM love them...or maybe hate them. The 6" does fine, but I think it reduces the number of bites. GP is the only color you need, but watermelon/red flk, plain watermelon, and watermelon candy all work well. We don't have Goby, but Sculpins are really similar...the Jewell Sculpins are a favorite of mine...dark brown most resembles the ones we have, but I'd bet they change to match the bottom and water color, like bass do.

I use my old flipping stick, which is a MH and isn't too stiff. It also casts a frog very nicely, and would do fine on big crankbaits or even spinnerbaits and bladed jigs. Choice of line will have a big influence on what alternates will work. I tried braid and didn't like it for C'rig...information overload. We have century old cedar bark on the bottoms of most our lakes, which feels exactly like a "tap-tap" bass bite when you drag the sinker over it. Speaking of sinkers....I've used 1/2 oz bullet sinkers and 3/4 oz egg sinkers. I prefer the 3/4 oz egg sinkers, tho I also think it allows or encourages one to cast farther than they should. Like too far to feel the bite or set the hook effectively.

This is one presentation where I like to use a RH crank reel and switch hands after the cast. This allows me to palm the reel (Lew's Super Duty wide spool works great, and surprisingly small) and hold the line between thumb and index finger while dragging the bait with the rod. Maximum feel of the bait! I'd suggest 17 or 20 lb P-line CXX for the main line, and 10 lb for the leader.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

5. Member
    If the main line and leader line is the same, I use Carolina Keepers. 2 of them for a 1oz sinker. Only one knot needed.

6. Member
    +1
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

7. Member
    Carolina keeper is a great idea but in Ontario you are dealing with zebra mussels. They tend to slide down the line with the extra snags. never tried 2 though... My favorite sinker is a bass casting sinker with the brass wire removed.
    Pretied leaders... I tried all sorts of crap. I eventually just tied a bunch and hung them from the carpet in the boat. Was a nice evening activity. I won a tournament on Ontario by Carolina rigging with 20 # braid, leader too. 5" zoom junebug lizard. Had it set up for largemouth in thicker weeds, ended up catching all smallmouth on deep sandy flats.
    Speed craw a bit c rig lure on champlain.
    Guys on the great lakes are relying on the fancy sonars and dropshotting right over the fish. They never even knew the the original sonar was a long cast with a c rig and dragging it on the bottom. My big regret in fishing was forgetting about the Carolina rig... I might still be out on the trail if i stuck with it... Too many places I went with the new cutting edge stuff... Few fish here and there go a long way... Got caught up in flipping and pitchin...

Take a 6 inch piece of clear surgical tubing and run your line through it in front of your sinker. The tubing will keep the zebra mussels from tearing up your line.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Take a 6 inch piece of clear surgical tubing and run your line through it in front of your sinker. The tubing will keep the zebra mussels from tearing up your line.
    Between the sinker, and bead? I like the idea, but trying to picture the setup. We don't have zebra mussels.

My solution was to use Pradco SST mainline and a Berkley line for the leader of the same pound test. ALWAYS broke the leader, and NEVER lost a sinker or swivel. Tells us something about Berkley line's abrasion resistance.

I got some Ultra Steel 2000 egg sinkers last year at Wally's and put shrink tube liners in the holes, with a flare on each end. If that helps anybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    Between the sinker, and bead? I like the idea, but trying to picture the setup. We don't have zebra mussels.

My solution was to use Pradco SST mainline and a Berkley line for the leader of the same pound test. ALWAYS broke the leader, and NEVER lost a sinker or swivel. Tells us something about Berkley line's abrasion resistance.

I got some Ultra Steel 2000 egg sinkers last year at Wally's and put shrink tube liners in the holes, with a flare on each end. If that helps anybody!
    In front of the sinker. Even if you don't have zebra mussels, it will prevent the rocks from eating up the line.

E-Rig 006.jpg

I make an EZ style rig for Erie and push the tubing on to the eye of the wire. If you use a traditional C-Rig set-up, the tubing goes in front of the sinker and bead.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. Member
    The tubing thing is a pretty cool idea
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

12. Member
    Another thing you can use if pre-rigging a rig is to take the center cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels, cut a couple of slots in the end for the line and wrap the rig. Don't get it wet.

Well, the bad news is that Cabela's doesn't carry the large leader spools like I got years (and years) ago. So, I looked up Lindy's and found they have one that appears to be "XL", and here's the link. https://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/l...r-x-treme-1-cd

A lot of the trolling types make their own out of foam pipe insulation with suitable core to keep it stiff...wood dowel, aluminum tubing or PVC pipe are good choices. I'd recommend pretty large size pipe insulation, due to the large size of the hooks you'll want to use.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.s View Post
    Another thing you can use if pre-rigging a rig is to take the center cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels, cut a couple of slots in the end for the line and wrap the rig. Don't get it wet.
    Even better is to use a small section of pool noodle to do this. Use a toothpick through swivel eye and then embed hook point after wrapping it tight.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

The tubing on the line is a great idea!

One thing I've learned this year that also ends up saving some money...using two smaller weights instead of one bigger weight reduces snagging on a C-rig, and I suppose maybe adds some extra clicking noise as well. For example, I throw 3/4 oz on a Carolina rig like 95% of the time. Instead of 1 3/4 oz weight, using 2 3/8 oz weights snags up much less. I think it was John Crews I heard mention that at some point, and he was definitely right!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

16. Member
    Depending on size of rocks, I like to use a 3/4” steel weight. The steel weight is physically larger. Sometimes, this helps the weight not fall as deep into crevises and openings. The weight will not lodge and break-off as much.

Egg sinkers can be useful in the way.

17. Member
    WE have 2 natural lakes north of me. They both receive heavy pressure and are clear. The fish will very quickly tap the worm and leave it alone. Ive always wondered if they are waiting on the worm to jerk away. If it doesn't jerk away they will get it again. My best rig for this is a 3/8 bullet weight and about a 14" leader (same line) and a pre rigged worm with 3 hooks. Plow-jockeys work but the worm I use is larger diameter 3 hooks and was made from an elderly man on Lake Wawasee. many years ago