motor shaking not trimming...

I have a 150 hp 4 stroke merc. its 2013. I had a deep cycle batter I have hooked to it and a bunch of electronics. Few weeks ago I charged it up and went fishing. Just the other day I noticed a fizzing sound. It was gas in the deep cycle. Today I pulled boat from garage and turned it on with the house connected, watching my lowrance units to see if the volts went above 14.7 to see if the alternator was what caused the other battery to build up gas and over charge ( at the moment i am thinking it was the Ctek charger). When I started the motor and pushed the throttle forward more to see if the volts would go up past 14.7 the motor shook like crazy, this happened earlier this year and I found an electrical connection had come undone, did it back up and it worked fine. So now i am trying to figure out what is causing it, this time the motor WILL NOT trim up or down while the throttle is pushed forward and shakes like crazy and starts to putter.... does that sound like alternator or something else? If I can figure out how to upload a .MOV file I can show it.

2. Member

3. Member
    you are in neutral? it is hitting the rev limiter

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPORTMOD25 View Post
    you are in neutral? it is hitting the rev limiter

it’s ok in neutral. It just acts up when I’m gear.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not supposed to rev the engine (accelerate) unless:

-You're IN the water

-You're IN GEAR

-You're going somewhere.

The PCM is attempting to protect the engine from damage by limiting the RPM's you can reach.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

-You're IN the water

-You're IN GEAR

-You're going somewhere.

The PCM is attempting to protect the engine from damage by limiting the RPM's you can reach.

shit! I wish I’d have known that 7yrs ago when I bought it. It was in gear just not in water, just the hose hooked to the lower intake. I took it to dealership, they are aware I was doing that as I emailed the video as well as the long ass story to them. Hopefully they can figure out if it was the motor causing the battery to overcharge.

7. Member

-You're IN the water

-You're IN GEAR

-You're going somewhere.

I emailed mercury yesterday awake to a voicemail today informing me that IT IS FINE TO USE THE EAR MUFFS ON THE LOWER UNIT AND TURN THE ENGINE ON AND GO IN FORWARD, REVERSE and NEUTRAL, WITHOUT actually being in the water..... as long as the muffs are on going in the lower in take with the water coming out the top. So what I am doing in the video is absolutely ok to do I have been told.

8. Banned
    Putting it in gear is fine. Revving it up is not

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubee View Post
    ^^^^
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubee View Post
    +3. I feel quite confident that you were not told it was ok to rev the engine with no load on it (on the trailer). So the statement in Post# 5 is dead-on accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM

-You're IN the water

-You're IN GEAR

-You're going somewhere.

Just a Reminder- Please take a few moments to review the Forum Announcements and be sure to provide the REQUIRED Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    +3. I feel quite confident that you were not told it was ok to rev the engine with no load on it (on the trailer). So the statement in Post# 5 is dead-on accurate.

Just a Reminder- Please take a few moments to review the Forum Announcements and be sure to provide the REQUIRED Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Oddly when I listen to the voice mail it cuts out and all I can hear is the tech saying it’s fine to put muffs on and start it it up. It probably cut out when he tries to tell me what post 5 says. But it’s just odd to me cuz I’ve had it 7 yrs and never had the issue from putting it in gear a little. Number 5 is most likely right and this time too far forward it acted up, it just surprises me it hasn’t done it before. The voice mail does say I can put it
    in gear but then it cuts out. He was probably just about to say don’t rev it. Wish they emailed the reply like I selected for response.

12. Member
    So, have you figured out the trim? That was your original issue, right? I think we established thar the shaking is caused by hitting the Rev limiter.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Keep in mind that this engine has a very aggressive Guardian Strategy for "over-trim". If you are trimmed above the trim limit, the engine will limit at about 2500 RPM's regardless of being in gear. Depending on trim configuration on the engine, it may lock you out of UP trim (but should not prevent DOWN trim).

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    So, have you figured out the trim? That was your original issue, right? I think we established thar the shaking is caused by hitting the Rev limiter.

No my original issue was figuring out if the motor itself was causing the batter to over charge, I now wonder if the mercury smart craft gauge should have given me some sort of warning if it was overcharging it? Or if the batter charger I used to charge it did the overcharge shouldn't the smart craft have made me aware the battery was over charged? I switched out the battery with one that wasn't hissing from venting hydrogen then it did what you see in the video. I gave it to my dealer to fix, I was warned it would be over a month before they could even look at it, they closed down from covid and now after opening are backlogged. Lots of boats up here just getting out of storage, covid closed places during the normal time ppl take the boats from storage. My friend has his boat there too and has so far been waiting 3 weeks, his Lund Tyee has a Verado on it, and when he was on the lake he fired it up and went to giver and he said oil started flying out from the motor so his seal somehow has been damaged I guess? Luckily he has a kicker, he used it to get back 10km from shore and took almost 2.5 hrs he said. I eventually want a kicker on mine, I plan to fish Lake Nipigon sometime in the near future. That lake is the largest entirely in Ontario borders and from the stuff I read beyond wild with the weather.

15. Member
    Keep in mind that this engine has a very aggressive Guardian Strategy for "over-trim". If you are trimmed above the trim limit, the engine will limit at about 2500 RPM's regardless of being in gear. Depending on trim configuration on the engine, it may lock you out of UP trim (but should not prevent DOWN trim).

The tilt wouldn't go up or down. I couldn't handle it anymore I did take it to the dealers to get it fixed. I got more faith in them than I do in me with it at the moment.lol. I do greatly appreciate all the replies on here though. When I get it back I will let you guys now the cause to the issue. Hopefully nothing too embarrassing.