Trim/tilt problem?

Motor Sn# 2B778607

Today while putting some more break-in time on the new motor the trim/tilt would not work anywhere on the boat unless the engine was running. If the engine was off the bow, steering wheel, shift control, and cowl trim/tilt would not work. Fire up the engine and everything worked fine. Any suggestions or ideas as to the cause? It all worked fine the 1st 2 hours of use.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    DTS engines act a bit differently than their Mechanical counterparts. The MPR remains active after key-off for a period of time, once that times-out the PCM needs to see a WAKE signal before trim will activate.

Simply keying "on" to the RUN position should wake the trim function at ALL switches. Check to make sure this is what happens.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    DTS engines act a bit differently than their Mechanical counterparts. The MPR remains active after key-off for a period of time, once that times-out the PCM needs to see a WAKE signal before trim will activate.

Simply keying "on" to the RUN position should wake the trim function at ALL switches. Check to make sure this is what happens.
    Nope...that ain't it. I can run the boat, come off of plane, and shut the engine down to let it cool (I did this as part of the break-in process). I would try to use the trim/tilt, and nothing. I can turn the key to the second position (just before starting the engine), and everything works. It will work with the engine running no problem. Turn the key back to off and 80% of the time I get nothing.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Rather than saying "80% of the time I get nothing"... let's see if we can define it as a time period after engine shutdown.

NORMAL operation would be that the trim should be active for approximately 15 minutes after you remove the key from the switch (unless you move the control to REVERESE-WOT which forces a shutdown of the system).

If your results do not have a consistent time frame after key is removed, there may be a problem with the MPR.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor