Redoing pumps in my bilge

I have finally gotten a lot of the projects I wanted done, new seats, winch, carpet, trailer jack, led lights and many other things are done.

Now I want to start tackling the bilge area. My livewell wasn't draining, I undid the valve in the bilge and it did finally leak out but very slowly. I guess I have junk in my hose and it won't allow the livewell to drain properly. As long as I have ad the boat, 3 years, it has not had a working livewell pump. I always just allowed the valve to stay open and the livewell filled to the water line and then emptied when I pull the boat out of the lake. I would like to fish a few tournaments next year so I need a working livewell system.

Firstly, will I have to unscrew the livewell pump from the transom of the boat? Is that how these work? I honestly do not want to mess with that. I even though of just cutting off the old pump, adding some hose and a hose clamp and then putting the livewell pump in line with the hose so I don't have to mess with the transom hole. Not sure if that makes sense...

Also, I don't know where to begin with the switches on my livewell. I will post a picture in a second of what they look like. I don't know if they work or not. At one point the hydro switch made noise but didn't do anything and that has stopped all together.

Also, I want to put in an automatic bilge pump. My livewell has two bilge pumps. I know one works but the other does not. Is there something extra I will have to do with the wiring to have an automatic bilge pump or can I just install and auto pump and just leave the switch on?

FA9B588E-667C-493E-89F3-35F4A911CABE.jpeg
    Last edited by rfroese; 07-08-2020 at 01:15 PM.

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    OK, first thing I'd like to see is a picture of your dash that might show any other switches for the livewell system. Do you have one divided livewell behind the seats or one up front and one between the seats? I'd also like to see a picture of the back side of that Livewell Control panel. Do you have a volt meter and know hw to use it? Or do you have an automotive test light?

Something makes me think we've talked before. You're in Seminole, right?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    OK, first thing I'd like to see is a picture of your dash that might show any other switches for the livewell system. Do you have one divided livewell behind the seats or one up front and one between the seats? I'd also like to see a picture of the back side of that Livewell Control panel. Do you have a volt meter and know hw to use it? Or do you have an automotive test light?

Something makes me think we've talked before. You're in Seminole, right?
    Yes sir we have. I will post up some more pictures in just a bit. I am fixing to pull that panel off and use my voltmeter to test it. I just don't know 100% how these switches work so I don't know if I will be testing the right thing lol.

I have one livewell behind the seats. It does have a divider in it but it is one big livewell. I am fairly certain its the pumps that are out but I want to test the switches anyway. The only other switches are a horn, power, acc, bilge and nav light switch. I think you were the one who helped me find a new switch a few years ago.

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    There should be an Orange wire going to the panel. That wire will have 12v on it with the main power switch on. The black wire should be ground. From the looks, there will be 2 brown wires, one to the Hydro and one to the Aerator pumps. They will have 12v on them during the time on period or all the time on the 100 / Fill positions. Those positions bypass the timer(s).

5. Member
    Here’s what we got at the back of the panel.

716A9FBA-5B75-43CA-90F1-2A1D6DF0624C.jpeg

These are my switches.

9D85E29E-B66F-40E5-9659-E9B38DF5585C.jpeg

6. Member
    I think the livewell pump switch. The one labeled aerator is broken though. I test them both and I have voltage coming out of the hydro switch but not the aerator.

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Voltage "coming out" on the brown wires, right? Turning the switch to 100/Fill should bypass the timef

8. Member
    So mine has orange wires, brown wires, and black wires going into the switches. The two black wires are connected as the negative, the two orange wires go into the switch as the red wires as the positive. The two brown wires connect to the green on my switches.

I tested both orange/red combinations and they both have voltage. I tested both green/brown combinations and only one had voltage. Actually, one of them showed -.20 volts but I assume that is because it is broken.

Where can I get an OEM replacement?

Will these work?

https://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Lectr.../dp/B06ZZ2PFYC

9. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    This one is switchable instead of variable. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PGMG14S/ You might check tbe dimensions to make sure you can enlarge the hole and not go outside the panel.

10. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Hey Ryan, is there any identifying info on the labels on those timers?

11. Member
    I looked and they are so old you can’t make anything out on them. I will probably just order the one you linked.
    Last edited by rfroese; 07-08-2020 at 09:46 PM.

12. Member
    Pulled my livewell pump today. I imagine this is a 30 year old pump. Can’t believe it lasted as long as it did. Is this now a Johnson brand pump?

I did figure out that the hydro switch works. The other one is busted. This pump also does not work. I plugged it in directly to the battery, it pulled a few amps but did not spin so I will be looking for a replacement. I also need a new recirculating pumped as well.

I do have another question I am hoping someone can answer. There were two bilge pumps. One working that was the same Mayfair brand and then another Atwood with 3 wires and a float switch which was done for. I only have one bilge switch though and it’s an on off switch. How is it possible that the other pump would work? I don’t have another bilge switch with an on/manual/off position. Weird.

D3F4081A-80EC-466B-B7B7-30E39D4769C6.jpeg
    7F9D34ED-A0CE-42FB-8527-6FE100C852F2.jpeg

13. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Yes, Mayfair is now Johnson. You can look the part number up on the BPS site then Google that to find the best price. I've got a couple of errands to run early, but can do some looking when I get back to the house. On the bilge, the one with the float should be wired to the battery through a 5 amp fuse. That's your auto bilge. The other works through the bilge switch.

14. Member
    Thanks a bunch! I ended buying an auto bilge and got it hooked up today. Filled my bilge with water and it started pumping.

I appreciate all of your help!

15. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Glad to help out when and where I can. How did you make out with the timer?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Glad to help out when and where I can. How did you make out with the timer?
    I haven’t gotten it in yet. I did switch the wires to see if the timer for the hydro was working when I put a new livewell pump in. It does work.

17. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rfroese View Post
    I haven’t gotten it in yet. I did switch the wires to see if the timer for the hydro was working when I put a new livewell pump in. It does work.