Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I prefer a V8...just not a fan of the small boosted engines

2. Member
    Ford 300 inline 6 was a great motor. The Toyota 22R 4 cylinder was also a he'll of a motor

A 6 cylinder is strong enough to power a 1/2 ton truck without boost. So under normal driving it won't be in the boost much and not putting much strain on the motor. The boost will come on under acceleration and towing. I'm not sure a 4 cylinder will have enough power to run a full size truck without the boost. So it would be running boost 100% of the time, putting more strain on the motor and making it wear out faster.

4. Member
    Just wait another 5 years. At that point in time everything will be ELECTRIC. No if's and's or but's. Get ready for the big switch which is coming.
    They have already developed a Tractor for pulling big trailers on the highways.
    Boys in the Middle East going to lose all OIL Profits.
    Its coming. Unfortunately.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plowjock View Post
    Just wait another 5 years. At that point in time everything will be ELECTRIC. No if's and's or but's. Get ready for the big switch which is coming.
    They have already developed a Tractor for pulling big trailers on the highways.
    Boys in the Middle East going to lose all OIL Profits.
    Its coming. Unfortunately.
    Let me know when that happens I'm betting 20 years or better for a total transition, if it ever even happens.

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    run the 3.5 ecoboost wouldnt buy the smaller ecoboost.. but the 3.5 turbo is a towing machine. Id never buy a turbo 4 in a truck..

7. Member
    Sounds like a nice engine.

Quote Originally Posted by CHECrappie View Post
    This was me...until last year. I now drive a F-150 with a 3.5 ecoboost. Amazing power.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by boatinpete View Post
    Rick I will as next August my lease is up and I bet I can get best lease deal on this 4 cylinder, no loss to me as all 3 years Chevy will fix it free for me, but I will give honest report.
    I don't blame you I won't want it long term or own it either. Maybe if the built it like a diesel at least it might last but it would be sssllloooowww to rev with all the weight in it.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

10. Member
    It all depends on the engine design. The cars overseas have been handing it to the US auto MFG for years, they are starting to catch up and doing it with turbos and smaller more efficient engines like has been happening across the pond for many years. Find me a large modern diesel that doesn't have some form of forced induction. If a turbo 4 cylinder is designed with the right parts it will live just as long as a properly designed NA engine but build more HP and torque. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm View Post
    The 292 w/ the cast iron four speed & bulldog low. What a classic combination! You could pull a barn over with that thing! The bonus was being able to sit on the wheel well in the engine compartment to change the plugs and rotor.
    I could literally stand on the ground in the engine compartment of my F100 with a 300 six. You didn't need to remove the dashboard to replace the heater core either.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    0-60 time of 7.0 seconds in a 4x4 truck crew cab is impressive for the Chevy, 2.7L turbo so it’s considerably stronger than the smaller motor in a Camaro. Pulling a 6000 lb trailer it was less than 1 second slower 0-60 than a Hemi equipped Ram -source Car and a Driver.

13. Member
    I prefer big V8, I don't like the fact of small boosted motors, for the longevity I keep my vehicles at and over 200k lol.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    Ford's 300ci had all kinds of torque and was indestructible.
    I drove a 300-6 Ford from UTs campus to Alcoa and back once with no water pump in it. The parts store forgot to tell me a new water pump did not include a gasket so I had to go back after I took it apart. I cut it off going down hills and coasted till I had to start it. Worked out perfectly fine.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    It all depends on the engine design. The cars overseas have been handing it to the US auto MFG for years, they are starting to catch up and doing it with turbos and smaller more efficient engines like has been happening across the pond for many years. Find me a large modern diesel that doesn't have some form of forced induction. If a turbo 4 cylinder is designed with the right parts it will live just as long as a properly designed NA engine but build more HP and torque. CJ
    EU vehicles don't have to deal with all the emissions and CAFE standards like we do. It's why all the German cars are considerably faster over there than they are here. Euro spec performance motors aren't all choked up. You can thank California for the garbage we get here.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T. Hill View Post
    Anyone remember the 300 inline 6 cylinder Ford had back in the 70s? Great towing motor.
    Still have one. 1994 300/6 with 5 speed manual and 92k miles
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

17. Banned

I'm sure it would be fine for the majority of 1/2 ton truck users.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dwmgg17 View Post
    Kinda like the Fords with that little 6 people claim can out pull and tow a semi and 30 mpg while doing it. It will be interesting.
    Yes they will proably any bass boat but don’t think I want to pull a travel trailer .

19. Member
    I would never buy one but I guarantee this GM turbo 4 would destroy a crap pile garbage Triton v10 gasser heavy duty Ford. At least the last gen version. Our work trucks are gas v10s of various years late 2000s+ and they get 7mpg unloaded hwy and can't even do a burnout on gravel. This 4 bangers output is amazing for what it is, although I'm not sure what the point of it is as every review I've read said the 5.3 equals it in real world mileage...
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    0-60 time of 7.0 seconds in a 4x4 truck crew cab is impressive for the Chevy, 2.7L turbo so it’s considerably stronger than the smaller motor in a Camaro. Pulling a 6000 lb trailer it was less than 1 second slower 0-60 than a Hemi equipped Ram -source Car and a Driver.
    Facts don't matter in these discussions lol
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast