Ruggles Reef and small mouth

Haven"t been in years. Is it worth fishing?

2. Member
    Just fished it sunday....one smallie....talked to another set of guys who had been there the entire day and didnt catch a single one....nothing but sheephead mainly. Stinks.
    2019 Falcon 215 Yamaha Sho 250, Lithiums, X2, Poles, Ultrex, Birds, Mega 360 & Livescope.

Previous-2017 Falcon 205 Evinrude G2 250HO, Lithiums, Poles, Ultrex, Birds and 360.

3. Member
    Is there anyplace reasonably close to shore that still holds a population worth fishing for? Are the Islands worth fooling with or is it strictly a offshore isolated rock piles use your graphs deal?

4. Member
    you can always find resident fish around the islands...right now most have backed off but they arent out too deep yet....still transitional.
    2019 Falcon 215 Yamaha Sho 250, Lithiums, X2, Poles, Ultrex, Birds, Mega 360 & Livescope.

Previous-2017 Falcon 205 Evinrude G2 250HO, Lithiums, Poles, Ultrex, Birds and 360.

Always fish hanging around the islands. The FLW guys had a tough week this week fishing for them. The bite has really been off. The bite at Ruggles really died a long time ago. You can go there and catch a big sack once in a while, but it's a rarity and you don't catch too many when you do get that big sack. Wish I knew the reason for it. It use to be outstanding.

6. Member
    I read an article while back about how all the zebra muscles had filled in all the cracks and crevices around the rocks. Which hurt the crawdad population since there was no pace to hide. I guess no crawdads no bass. Don't know how much truth there was to it but I think it was written by Joe Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by champ210 View Post
    I read an article while back about how all the zebra muscles had filled in all the cracks and crevices around the rocks. Which hurt the crawdad population since there was no pace to hide. I guess no crawdads no bass. Don't know how much truth there was to it but I think it was written by Joe Thomas
    That's interesting theory.

8. Member
    Joe Thomas? Lol, Smoke another one Joey. Fishing during the spawn, tournament relocation and charter boats raking the spawning grounds in May killed Ruggles and the Lorain area.

Quote Originally Posted by eriedude View Post
    Joe Thomas? Lol, Smoke another one Joey. Fishing during the spawn, tournament relocation and charter boats raking the spawning grounds in May killed Ruggles and the Lorain area.
    I even remember a story of poachers from either Tennessee or Kentucky taking 100's of them home during the early season and getting busted. Who knows how many years they were doing that.

10. Member
    They did it for several years. Stayed on the islands. They did loose three boats!

Quote Originally Posted by Longtail1 View Post
    They did it for several years. Stayed on the islands. They did loose three boats!
    That's good to know.

12. Member
    Im not sure if its the craw daddy's or the no emeralds that hurt worse....its insane though.....day one of the toyota series and they had over 100 dead fish weighed in, that doesnt help.