water pressure reading

I have a 2004 yamaha 225. when running my gage reads between 10 to 15. Is that ok or is a new water pump impeller in my near future recommended. It seems a little low but its been a while since I have seen someone else's reading and I can't remember what I have seen on other boats.

2. Member
    In the south it will drop as the water temp climbs however given you are in MI that may not be the case. 15 is okay. 10 seems low. No overheat i assume ? If the impeller is a few years old probably best to change it anyway. They are cheap
    I don't always find schooling fish but when I do I backlash on the first cast

3. Member
    I have an '05 225 and have been told minimum PSI at wide open throttle should not dip below 11psi. Anything less than wide open, and you will have less psi because the impeller isn't turning as fast. I would imagine that if you dip below 11 for a short duration, like when turning at wide open throttle, it wouldn't hurt anything, but I would follow that 11psi recommendation.

Also, if this is just suddenly happening before you tear in to your lower unit, you should disconnect the tube from the back of the gauge and then disconnect it from the top of the starboard side of the motor and blow compressed air through it. Mine was clogged with god knows what..

4. Member
    My '05 250 usually drops into that range over the summer during the 2nd year on the impeller. I just change everything out every 2 years to be safe; it's cheap insurance!

Quote Originally Posted by Thamelau View Post
    Also, if this is just suddenly happening before you tear in to your lower unit, you should disconnect the tube from the back of the gauge and then disconnect it from the top of the starboard side of the motor and blow compressed air through it. Mine was clogged with god knows what..
    Also, if you don't have any compressed air you can also disconnect the hose from the back of the gauge and run water through the flush hose. It might not get everything out as well as compressed air but usually works for me when the gauge seems off. I just did this on mine last week the line burped a little and whole bunch of wonderful brown sludge came out. Back to normal now!

5. Member
    Thats good advice. I too have been losing a bit of pressure. Not sure if i sucked up something or not, but gonna try the flush. Got it scheduled for a water pump/poppett check anyway just to be safe. But still gonna try to flush with gauge disconnected.

6. Member
    Whatever you do, don't suck on the hose. I was trying to get my needle to move... and then I heaved up dinner...

7. Member
    Eww

I have stopped looking at the pressure gauge since it always reads low. However I monitor my engine temperature and it always runs 120 at idle and up to 145 at WOT.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

9. Member
    I went ahead and ordered a water pump kit to be safe.