Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    As a fan of fishing, I enjoy all of the options. Take out what the pros have to pay vs sponsorship dollars etc.
    If you pay attention to the BASS Open AOY points, you can think about who is looking to move between the two organizations. It's pretty cool to me that these guys have options and seem to be exploring what is best for them and their families. That's the good thing about this world.... Options to do what makes your life right.

2. Member
    They brought it all upon themselves. It might possibly could have been successful, and that is still a big maybe just due to the type of format. They just didn't carry themselves is a good way, and it was offputting to the majority that actually watch fishing. You need to be humble, and they never were.

Examples: How many times were we told the Redcrest is the SuperBowl of bass fishing? The biggest most spectacular event the sport has ever seen. All of that BS before one had even taken place.

The Edwin Evers crusade on livewells, and livewells are the devil being shoved down our throats during every break makes you just not want to watch.

Wolves and Sheep.

Being told repeatedly BPT is the top tour, and has the best anglers.

Constant format and rule changes on the fly.

Luke Dunkin/Wilburn incident.

The list goes on and on honestly.

My opinion they've just repeatedly shot themselves in the foot, and are now dealing with the consequences.

I’m trying to care...

4. Member
    How many pages can we get this thread up to?

I wonder how much of this was due to the economic times or just on the format wasn’t successful. I’m sure nobody on here really knows the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    Let's take a look at the biggest casualty of this BPT to date. Justin Lucas had just won the Elite Series AOY trophy, and then was peer pressured into jumping on the BPT bandwagon. He has been MIA for 18 months, and now is back to paying entry fees. What's worse is now he is back to square one, and now has logo restrictions, and boat restrictions that he didn'thave at BASS. I guess there is a limit to how much money Boyd can talk Stan Kroenke into throwing at tournament bass fishing after all.
    gerald and brandon came back on past AOY championships. why cant lucas?

They tried but , you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit .

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wvbassmaster View Post
    Gerald and Brandon also fished the Opens last year. I believe the Legends Exemption goes to anglers who are currently fishing a BASS event before going to ones who are not currently fishing.

Lots of careers were lost for those who made the switch. The savvy pros like Wheeler with a big social/YT following will be fine but guys like Lucas, Bertrand, Elam .. all rising stars at the time, will struggle

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wvbassmaster View Post
    They only take two exemptions per year. They go to bassmaster Elite series anglers first. However, last year being a "new" start for the elites they all guaranteed the anglers two years on tour before dropping the lowest anglers, so no elite series anglers needed the exemptions. If say Clunn and Yelas finish in the bottom of the elite field and decide they still want to fish, then they will get the exemptions and there will be none for the rest. Unless of course BASS takes them back on some other under the table qualification
    2009 Stratos 294 XLE / 2009 200 ETEC H.O.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    This comment kinda stood out. Not sure if he means the industry is not ready or the fans are not ready.

The fans and sponsors forgot that we don't pay entry fees and we were being compared directly to leagues that paid a little less than we did. It's something that the world might not be ready for.

Seems they are always blaming somebody else. They basically shunned endemic sponsors and are reaping those benefits now. But ofcourse it's not their fault.

11. Member
    They had a solid plan, but the big-money sponsors only look at the bottom line. They measure the return on everything they do, and it has to produce or they look for other opportunities. Fans might buy the same rod & reel that these guys use, but will they buy General Tires or Squincher Energy Drinks? The fan base for watching fishing shows has grown over the years, but it still doesn't begin to compare to other major league sports. I've followed tournament fishing since the 60's and it may never progress to the point where there are no entry fees. The top 50 or so anglers will settle in somewhere no matter what happens, and the rest will try to stay in the game.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Seems they are always blaming somebody else. They basically shunned endemic sponsors and are reaping those benefits now. But ofcourse it's not their fault.
    True

13. Member
    One thing I think we all tend to miss here is why these guys did what they did, they chose the best path they thought at the time would be the best chance for them to provide for themselves and their family. I have heard Bryan Thrift says this over and over, he does what he does to make a living. He makes his choices based on earning potential. People change jobs all the time. Hopefully it is for the best, sometimes it is, others it isn't. Life isn't fair and stuff happens.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tico View Post
    And do not believe that COVID is the primary reason. These guys can not run the same business plan for more than a few months.

Another pitiful proposed change is the participation trophy mindset that everyone "qualifies" for at least 2 CUP events regardless of their performance. My kids little league isn't that bad.

Maybe I am looking at it wrong. I should look at as if they get to participate in a 2 hour tv commercial and tournament performance is secondary.

If the cups become points events and anglers are paying entry fees, it makes sense that all that pay entry fees can compete in the same amount of points tournaments.

15. Banned
    Any news on the new pro trail? Looks like this would play right into their hands.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    They had a solid plan, but the big-money sponsors only look at the bottom line. They measure the return on everything they do, and it has to produce or they look for other opportunities. Fans might buy the same rod & reel that these guys use, but will they buy General Tires or Squincher Energy Drinks? The fan base for watching fishing shows has grown over the years, but it still doesn't begin to compare to other major league sports. I've followed tournament fishing since the 60's and it may never progress to the point where there are no entry fees. The top 50 or so anglers will settle in somewhere no matter what happens, and the rest will try to stay in the game.
    Not a very solid plan if you don’t even make it to the 3 years you guaranteed the anglers. I hope they knew that all companies, big or small, are in it for the bottom line. You’d think a savy swindler like Boyd would know that? Maybe their model didn’t work because they didn’t topple BASS like they knew they would. They ended up with a piece of the pie, not the whole thing like they were banking on.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix20 View Post
    Any news on the new pro trail? Looks like this would play right into their hands.
    That thing is going nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    After all the hype, they are back to what the BASS Elites are in just 18 months. There has to be some people at BASS enjoying their breakfast this morning.
    I love it!! Lmao at the whole situation.

19. Member
    So with the FLW pro tour and BPT both having similar entry fees and payouts, can the BPT guys choose to fish FLW only now? They seem to be the same other than the sheep to wolf ratio and format?

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    It's sure a good thing B.A.S.S. never had any hiccups or problems along their way during it's development and ownership changes over the years.

B.A.S.S. has been so Perfect from the Start everyone who has ever been connected with that organization at the Professional Level has become Multimillionaires.

The Pros that left the B.A.S.S Tour only did so because they didn't have enough time in the day to count all their money.

B.A.S.S.'s growth has been phenomenal they put on less tournaments and have limited the number of Pros fishing them. You'd think by now they would be broadcast on a major network in prime time.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast