Pro xs 250 maintenance

Hello, I’m pretty new to boating and recently bought a used boat. Has a 2017 250 pro xs with 65 hours. Has run great the three times I’ve had it out but the maintenance history is unknown. Should I perform the 1 year/100 hour service per the manual or do the 3 year service and also change plugs and impeller? Thanks

1.Engine serial - 2B522648
    2. 2017 mercury pro xs
    3. Fury 25x14 prop

2. Member
    JMHO, for an engine with unknown maintenance history I'd do a full annual service as outlined in this FAQ topic - Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    Welcome .. this site will help you with all your questions. That being said...nothing like a new boater with a 250 hp !!

4. Member
    This board is awesome and there is so much experience that have helped me through the initial maintenance and looking at history. I bought mine with 67 hours and was unsure. At the end of the season I did everything. Lower unit, filters, impeller. Most of it is simple DYI stuff.

One for the first changes you should make is adding the quickleen cocktail and make sure you're running the DFI for Optimax. It's reddish brown vs a green tint. Enjoy the site and the feedback.....The ole attract more bees with honey is always in effect. I always make a point to PM them or show my gratitude by thanking those that offer up help or advice.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    JMHO, for an engine with unknown maintenance history I'd do a full annual service as outlined in this FAQ topic - Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines
    Thanks, that’s what I was planning on doing just to be safe.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAL321 View Post
    This board is awesome and there is so much experience that have helped me through the initial maintenance and looking at history. I bought mine with 67 hours and was unsure. At the end of the season I did everything. Lower unit, filters, impeller. Most of it is simple DYI stuff.

One for the first changes you should make is adding the quickleen cocktail and make sure you're running the DFI for Optimax. It's reddish brown vs a green tint. Enjoy the site and the feedback.....The ole attract more bees with honey is always in effect. I always make a point to PM them or show my gratitude by thanking those that offer up help or advice.
    Thanks for the info. I have been using Dons cocktail. For the oil I’ve been using Optimax:

• Mercury Part Number: 858038K01
    • Mercury Quicksilver Part Number: 858038Q01

7. Member
    opti oil in reservoir /QKLEEN QCARE 1OZ each and 4 oz prem plus per 5 gal fuel
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Lots of very good info in this FAQ topic too (there are many, many great topics in the FAQ), including the "cocktail" - Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations

Use Mercury or Quicksilver (same oil different bottle and label) DFI, aka "Optimax oil", for best results.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax