Thread: Blowing tires

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Wow, looks like you hit a curb or an object on the road. I don't know anything about trailer bushings etc. So I can't comment on that. But what I'm sure of it isnt tire failure on its own.

2. Member
    One more weird possibility, the tire place is not using correct procedures when mounting. Again, I don't think that is a tire defect from manufacturing sure looks like a cut. The rim isn't bent.

3. Member
    Its not the same one blowing all four have blown but the back axle has blown more.
    Been chewing on this awhile because the 6 tires part really stands out.

Have all the tires had the same type of cut in the same areas of the tires?

Spring or torsion suspension?

Possibly the trailer suspension is letting the tires hit the fender edges on rough roads?

This is an odd one.

4. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post

Possibly the trailer suspension is letting the tires hit the fender edges on rough roads?

This is an odd one.
    Was thinking maybe something is poking out under load that can't be seen under normal, static conditions?? Believe this would be a leaf spring trailer.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post

This is an odd one.
    Its leaf springs. I am not sure if all of them were cut like the one pictured. The rest of them came apart the thead separated from the sidewall. With no abnormal thead wear.

6. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn111 View Post
    Its leaf springs. I am not sure if all of them were cut like the one pictured. The rest of them came apart the thead separated from the sidewall. With no abnormal thead wear.
    Do they sit out in the sun all the time?
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

The boat is garage kelp.

8. Member
    Ignoring the one that looks cut, what kind of valve stems are you using? If I’m not mistaken, the normal ones are NOT good for load range D pressures. I think they are only good for 45 psi. The brass stem models are good for 65 psi. I would run bolt in style.

my 5th wheel trailer had similar issues. That is how I learned about the valve stem issues.
    currently boatless

9. Member
    I would say try turn hard in a dry large parking lot stopping while turned hard and go look at the tires and see if you are getting a lot of shifting in the axles from the worn bushings and maybe other worn parts in the suspension. Also at home try jacking up each wheel independently on the axle right next to the spring mounts and see if you get any unusual movement. If you have pictures of any of the other tires please post them. At least that one tire screams single blunt force trauma. There seems to be no other damage to the tire and no other marks as if it were hitting something on the trailer while moving off and on again causing fatigue in the tire.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

10. Member
    Still looks like hitting something hard 1 time either on the roadway or on the trailer if there was a very bad bump in the road causing the trailer springs to compress really hard. Or hitting something like this below while the roads are milled. Like I said though any pictures of the other tires would help even ones of the trailer and suspension.

2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

11. Member
    That is an impact break

12. Member
    Under inflated tires generate a lot of heat. Heat kills tires. If the manuf says 65, run them 65.

Do you happen to have a GoPro, preferably two? If so, hook them up so they are looking down at your tires, both sides, and head to the lake. See if you can spot anything happening while on the road. I am with the others that say it looks like something is cutting that tire. If you do try this, don't trust the suction cup mounts. Make sure you have a safety line on the camera in case the mount fails.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

My guess is your leaf springs are getting tired. My dad had a similar problem on his boat. Do you have metal fenders? Springs are sagging and causing the tires to hit and get gouged on the metal fenders.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12