Swim ladder question

Hey guys,

Wondering what your opinions are on the best swim ladder for a mod v type boat (Alumacraft Pro 185). I'm good with either a portable that hangs off the side or a fixed one on the back. Portable is preferred and I'd like to have it soon so factory / custom is out of scope.
    2020 Alumacraft Pro 185
    Suzuki DF 115 SS
    14x23P Suzuki Stainless Prop
    Helix 10 MSI G3N (Console)
    Helix 7 MSI G3 (Bow)
    Minn Kota Terrova iPilot

I bought one from BPS and installed it on the transom of my Lund. Works great.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    JAVN9338.JPGYGRD8155.JPGLove my Garlick 4 step telescoping ladder. Bought mine at Wolf's Marine in Benton Harbor MI. You can go to the Garlick web site and check out all of their ladders. My AlumiCraft 185 Competitor Sport.
    Last edited by dvl2700; 07-08-2020 at 08:40 AM. Reason: addition

4. Member
    well I can tell you the $50 ladder I bought on Amazon was not worth the cardboard it was shipped in. My RT188 is back at the dealer getting a factory swim ladder installed, as we speak.

5. Member
    Alumacraft did offer a telescoping ladder but could not find any pics of it

6. Member
    I have a Stainless Steel 3 step ladder bolted to the transom on my Alumacraft 145 Escape. It folds up and clicks in place when not in use. They make it in a 4 step too. I got it at Anchors Aweigh in Waukesha, Wi.

7. Member
    I have a Garelick 3 step on my boat but wish I would have gotten the 4 step. Garelick makes a solid product.
    Polar Kraft TX195/Suzuki 200/52" Ultrex MDI

8. Member
    I have the Garlick like dvl2700 has but mine is the 4 step and is mounted differently.

100_0410.JPG
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alumicraft145 View Post
    Alumacraft did offer a telescoping ladder but could not find any pics of it
    Unless I am mistaken - the Alumacraft Ladder is actually made by Garelick - 3 or 4 step.

You can see it here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Garelick-Bo...72.m2749.l2649

This is the one that dvl2700 has.

It is in the ebay title but it is Alumacraft Part # 22030012307

Which is exactly the same as Garelick model 19683 (3 step) or model 19684 (4 step) found here: https://www.garelick.com/Telescoping-Transom-Ladder

The only thing I am unsure of is how they mount the ladder to the transom - with bolts that go entirely through the transom (machine screws and nuts) which would require under deck access (and no foam in the way) or with sheet metal screws.

10. Member
    Great info. Wow you guys can get me to spend money!!

11. Member
    Mine is mounted with stainless bolts, washers and self locking nuts. All of this is sealed very well. The ladder is very strong, but I only weigh 150#. I think it was right about $200.

12. Member
    Yep, Mounted mine by drilling holes in the transom. Thru stainless steel bolts, backing aluminum plate, washers and lock nuts. Plenty of 3M 5200 sealant / adhesive. Momma and the kids, grandkids love it. I figured it would get used a lot for just swimming off the boat. Insurance if my fat butt fell off while fishing.

dvl2700

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dvl2700 View Post
    Love my Garlick 4 step telescoping ladder. Bought mine at Wolf's Marine in Benton Harbor MI. You can go to the Garlick web site and check out all of their ladders. My AlumiCraft 185 Competitor Sport.
    Does that ladder just snap up and can easily be pulled down while in the water?
    Last edited by okhawg; 07-14-2020 at 11:21 AM.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okhawg View Post
    Does that ladder just snap up and can easily be pulled down while in the water?
    yes, real easy to deploy while your in the water. I have a small thin shock chord as insurance to make sure the ladder stays in the upper position (rubber stop) while traveling down the road and running in rough seas.
    dvl2700

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dvl2700 View Post
    yes, real easy to deploy while your in the water. I have a small thin shock chord as insurance to make sure the ladder stays in the upper position (rubber stop) while traveling down the road and running in rough seas.
    dvl2700
    Thanks, now I'll measure and see if I can make it work.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors