Erie - South Bass Island Tips or Tricks

Ok, I fish St Clair as my home lake. Looking to mix it up with Canadian waters being closed. The next logical choice is the western side of Erie. I researched the islands and think I would launch out of Turtle Creek or Fenwick seems to be the ticket. Does that make sense for those that have experience ? About a 10 mile run from what I've saw.

We will be chasin smallies and need to factor in a favorable wind day so we don't get caught up in a mid lake mess. Nitro Z20 and it handles St Clair fine but I've heard Erie is a different animal or can be.

Would gladly accept more information but it appears the NE side of the island is preferred. The assumption is find the rock piles or weeds and the smallmouth will be there. Similar tactic on St. Clair... Just looking to for my two sons and I to get into some new water and put together a decent day and make it worth the two hour drive.

Thanks in advance, need help on St Clair I'd be happy to help ya out too.

2. Member
    Catawba island state park ramp would be much closer. Only about 5 miles from south bass and the ramp is completely protected from northeast wind.
    forget the weeds, the smallies are in the rocks. Look for isolated boulders.

3. Member
    I sent you a private message.

4. Member
    Thank you for the tip. Going to fish there with my son on Tuesday or Wednesday.

5. Member
    Let us know how you do, as the FLW is showing and a lot of people I talk to, the islands have been a struggle bus

6. Member
    I hate to hear the bite is tough. My son just graduated from Police academy and I was hoping to celebrate with some smallmouth action.

7. Member
    I haven’t made it up to Erie after late June yet, but I’ve heard the numbers around the islands drop in July and August as the bass move off to summer locations. I think that movement of bass is typical, but other folks on here that regularly get there throughout the summer will be better help than I with location.

8. Member
    My son and I fished Erie yesterday and only caught 3 smallmouth, but one was 4lb I will take that any day. The sheepheads were biteing good. Thanks for the tip on Catawba ramp.