Hydraulic steering fluid low

Hi. I have a ‘94 Ranger 488VS. I just bought it a few weeks ago and have only had it in the water a couple times. Everything was fine with the steering as far as I could tell. Anyway, I noticed today that with the cap off of the helm pump I cant see any fluid down in there. Can I just top it off? Thanks.20200707_185219.jpg
    Last edited by Bute56; 07-07-2020 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Picture

2. Member
    You can top it off, but it might have air in it if it’s been low enough and it will need to be bled. And if it’s low, it either wasn’t filled all the way the first time or it has a leak. It doesn’t loose fluid without a leak.

Here is a recent post I made about adding fluid and purging air from the system...http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1060846

4. Member
    Since you just bought the boat you don't know if it was ever full. I'd add the appropriate fluid and check it later. The fluid will eat carpet cement. I always turn my helm fully to one side before I add fluid, it may load the pump and cylinders fully that way. Might, might not.

5. Member
    Ok, thank you. There are no signs of a leak anywhere.

Leaks should be obvious, as long as it's not a hose puncture in the hull. Never heard of that happening though. Fill it, bleed it and keep an eye on it. But keep the fluid off the carpet though.

7. Banned
    Is it Sea Star?

The cap on my Sea Star helm is vented. If I fill the helm all the way up fluid will leak out the cap. It also blew out the helm shaft seal, twice. I'm no rocket surgeon, but just from my experience some of these helms are not meant to be filled till you can see the fluid.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Is it Sea Star?

The cap on my Sea Star helm is vented. If I fill the helm all the way up fluid will leak out the cap. It also blew out the helm shaft seal, twice. I'm no rocket surgeon, but just from my experience some of these helms are not meant to be filled till you can see the fluid.
    Yes, it is Teleflex Sea Star. The. Ap does not appear to be vented.