Trinity 4 Telescope of time

Psalm 31 (of David) is a prophecy that looks across time with a telescope that brings David, Jesus, you and me all into focus at the same time. Only God writes like that. David's hardships foreshadow the suffering of Jesus, especially on Good Friday. The passage helps us deal with troubles in our own lives.

We live in a dark world. These prophesies teach that God gives us the strength for each day and also a ultimate victory thru Christ.

PSALM 31 A Psalm of David.

5. Into Your hands I commit my spirit; redeem me, O LORD, The God of truth. 9. Be merciful to me, O LORD, for I am in distress; my eyes grow weak with sorrow, my soul and my body with grief. 11. Because of all my enemies, I am the utter contempt of my neighbors; I am a dread to my friends-- those who see me on the street flee from me. 13. For I hear the slander of many; there is terror on every side; they conspire against me and plot to take my life. 14. But I trust in You, O LORD; I say, "You are my God." 15. My times are in Your hands; deliver me from my enemies and from those who pursue me. 16. Let Your face shine on Your servant; save me in Your unfailing love.

V5. David would have spoken these words when he was in danger (from Saul and Absolom trying to kill him). These words have meaning for David and for us, in that Jesus also spoke them just before His death, as our Savior. As Jesus entrusted Himself to the Father, because He had finished His work of earning our forgiveness. He lived a holy life in our place, then suffered and died. We are released from the guilt of our sins.

V9. David's guilt of his sin. David's confidence in God and his hunger for God's mercy. Like David, we are helpless to escape the punishment we deserved. Like David, we have no choice but to plead for compassion from Christ. Only Jesus can deliver the cleansing which comes from the Passover Lamb of God.

Are we tempted to think our sin escapes God's notice or that we're really not that bad? Take a long, hard look at Christ's horrible suffering on our behalf. It was our sin that put Jesus on the cross and caused Him all that agony--of body and soul. The payment for our sin was so expensive no payment from us is ever enough. "The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His wounds we are healed." (Isaiah 53).

V11. The people of God have always been under attack from the powers of darkness. Jesus understands because He endured what we do--and more. Jesus prayed for us, in His High Priestly Prayer--John 17: "I have given them Your Word, and the world has hated them; for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world." Christ understands our loneliness. Remember how Christ was abandoned by His closest friends. Hebrews 13: "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence: "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid."

V13. We suffer offences against us deeply. Do we think about the heartache we have caused the Savior? God chooses to have pity on those that slander Him--that would be us.

V14,15,16. A confession of faith and plea for mercy. God looks down upon you with favor and He looks forward to the moment when He will call you home. You, yourself will say to Him (read V5 again). God's angels will carry you into His waiting arms. Faith will become sight. You will see Jesus, face to face, with joy inexpressible.

May this sure and certain hope of glory carry you thru all trials and hardships...until you stand before your Savior in perfect peace and health.

excerpts sermon 7/5/20
    Last edited by msethsmile; 07-07-2020 at 05:15 PM.

2. Member
    Hello Ms, I do not live in a Dark World as your post describes . Our Lord said :

I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness.

3. Member
    "You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden."

There is no dark world here.
    [/COLOR]

4. Member
    16[COLOR=#E62E00 !important]In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

There is no darkness here either. God is light !
    [/COLOR]

5. Member
    "We live in a dark world" refers to life outside of Christ, the majority of the earth. Proclaiming the saving Gospel is the light you're referring to.
    "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart, I have overcome the world." Jn 16:33b. Why is there trouble in the world? Answer: sin. Sin affects even Christians (they die). The world is troublesome because it has been tainted by sin. The passages referring to this are many, start with Gen 6:5, "only evil all the time". Yikes. Christ overcomes/defeats the devil, the world, death and our own sinful flesh. The Psalm above celebrates this. Even death no longer has its sting.

"We must live in the world but not be of the world."

6. Member

7. Member
    Jesus Prays for All Believers
    20 “I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who [j]will believe in Me through their word; 21 that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22 And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23 I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.

24 “Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world. 25 O righteous Father! The world has not known You, but I have known You; and these have known that You sent Me. 26 And I have declared to them Your name, and will declare it, that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them.”

Amen and Amen

8. Member
    "Sanctify (make holy) them in the truth, your word is truth." John 17

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msethsmile View Post
    "Sanctify (make holy) them in the truth, your word is truth." John 17
    Amen and amen