Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ZXR20 TEAM DECK SET UP CONCERNS

I am looking at the new ZRX20. I've never owned a Skeeter but they have caught my eye. One of my concerns is the team deck set up. It would seem to me that storing my rods in the center box and tackle in the sides boxes, I would have to move my rods every time I would want access to my tackle. Your thoughts ???

2. Member
    You do have to move them, but you move them inwards. It isnt a huge deal. It isnt a bad setup just radically different. It changed my entire tackle setup.

3. Wren
    Do you have pics to share?

4. Member
    are there not mega rod tubes and trees in the side storage boxes....keep all rods in the side storage boxes and tackle in the center storage box..the tackle boxes can be removed from the side storage boxes and aligned down the center of the center storage box...just a thought...I'm looking to order a ZXR20 so I'm planning to do it this way.

I have never been a fan of tackle storage on the sides

Besides organization and setup it screws with the balance of the boat when you put heavy gear to one side

Why should we spend so much money and have to say

“It isn’t a huge deal”
    “It changed my entire tackle setup.”
    Or keep tackle in a center rod locker?

There needs to be options
    Stop trying to hammer square pegs in round holes!

As soon as one company changed to the center locker they all had to do it
    Their afraid they will be accused of being old fashion/behind the times
    "The handicapped angler"

6. Member
    I’m not sure about the ZXR20 but the ZXR 21 also has a mega tube in the port rod locker for up to 9ft rods if you take out the tackle storage holder. Then you could use the two center lockers for storage.

Just use one side of the center tackle storage for rods. I use the left side and can easily get 3700 boxes out without moving rods. I keep a 4-6 rods on deck, 4 or so on the left of the center storage and the rest go in my port side rod locker till needed. Not a big deal at all and I have really become a fan of the team deck this last year or so.

I removed the tackle tray from port side box and only use center for tackle. If you fill it up you are carrying a LOT of stuff.

8. Member
    That’s what I plan to do when I get mine also Mark.

9. Member
    Delete
    Last edited by SkeeterZXR21SHO; 07-08-2020 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Just use one side of the center tackle storage for rods. I use the left side and can easily get 3700 boxes out without moving rods. I keep a 4-6 rods on deck, 4 or so on the left of the center storage and the rest go in my port side rod locker till needed. Not a big deal at all and I have really become a fan of the team deck this last year or so.

I removed the tackle tray from port side box and only use center for tackle. If you fill it up you are carrying a LOT of stuff.
    So now you’ve got tackle boxes bouncing around hitting your rods
    They can slide from front to back
    Rod lockers are not meant for storage!

And again no one address the issue of balance
    You have rods on the left side and tackle boxes full of baits, weights and hooks on the right along with other items like tool box, first aid kit and assorted items that weigh much more than the rods on the other side

You spend 60K, 70K, 80K and still you have to compromise
    What was wrong with the traditional deck layout with rod lockers on both sides and storage down the middle?
    "The handicapped angler"

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post

You have rods on the left side and tackle boxes full of baits, weights and hooks on the right along with other
    What was wrong with the traditional deck layout with rod lockers on both sides and storage down the middle?
    This still can be accomplished with the team advantage deck!
    Last edited by Verkeith; 07-08-2020 at 11:29 AM.

12. Member
    I tried the rods in the middle with most tackle on the sides. It did not match up well to how I fish and change baits. I removed the Plano organizers from the sides, converted the port side to the rod locker, and store all of my tackle in the center.
    I fit about 20 rods in the port locker and could fit more. I usually have all my rods on deck for the day and only occasionally go into that locker while fishing.
    I do love the dual day boxes. One I use just for plastics for the day and the other I use for tools, attractants, and dyes.
    On the starboard side I store extra life jackets, throw ring, and other misc. stuff.
    My partner uses the back two compartments, he did not use the "team" stuff in the front.
    I do like the dual doors for the middle as I can sit off to the side to open it to get to my tackle.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

You have rods on the left side and tackle boxes full of baits, weights and hooks on the right along with other items like tool box, first aid kit and assorted items that weigh much more than the rods on the other side

You are making a LOT of assumptions for a guy that has not used that layout. Nothing is flying around hitting my rods. I am not having ANY issues with them sliding from front to back. My boat balances very, very well with this layout.

You do not speak for me or anyone else so I can assuree you i did not compromise one little bit. I bought what I wanted after researching and after a year of using it I like it just fine. To the point I am glad they are continuing with the team deck option. Nothing was wrong with the conventional rod locker. Its still there. You can remove the tackle tray in rod locker in about 2 minutes. Storage is still down the middle. Skeeter did not take away any of those options. If anything they added more. Not real sure what I am supposed to be pissed off about at Skeeter. they literally took nothing away.

You are making a LOT of assumptions for a guy that has not used that layout. Nothing is flying around hitting my rods. I am not having ANY issues with them sliding from front to back. My boat balances very, very well with this layout.

You do not speak for me or anyone else so I can assuree you i did not compromise one little bit. I bought what I wanted after researching and after a year of using it I like it just fine. To the point I am glad they are continuing with the team deck option. Nothing was wrong with the conventional rod locker. Its still there. You can remove the tackle tray in rod locker in about 2 minutes. Storage is still down the middle. Skeeter did not take away any of those options. If anything they added more. Not real sure what I am supposed to be pissed off about at Skeeter. they literally took nothing away.
    I don’t presume to speak for anyone but after multiple threads on this subject it’s clear not everyone is a fan of the current layouts
    And due to my unique circumstances these layouts are a deal breaker for me thus the reason I have not used one
    And until others started bring up the subject I stayed silent thinking I was the only one

I applauded you for standing up for your sponsor and trying to squelch any negative remarks but I am allowed an opinion
    I’m glad you are happy with it and don’t hold anything against you for being happy

But it doesn’t take much of an assumption to understand if you place rods and tackle boxes in the same rod locker they are going to move around and come in contact when you run rough water and that usually don’t end well

Next they took the use of the starboard side locker away when they made it into two doors making it just for storage rather than leaving it alone
    If storing tackle in rod lockers is ok why did they change it?

Last but not least you mention they still have the traditional layout and that’s true if you want or are willing to buy a smaller boat
    All I’m saying is each of us are unique and since not all of us are fans of the current layouts maybe there should be options for the higher end boats
    "The handicapped angler"

15. Member
    Last but not least you mention they still have the traditional layout and that’s true if you want or are willing to buy a smaller boat
    All I’m saying is each of us are unique and since not all of us are fans of the current layouts maybe there should be options for the higher end boats[/QUOTE]

...the FXR boats still have the traditional layout

I don’t presume to speak for anyone but after multiple threads on this subject it’s clear not everyone is a fan of the current layouts
    And due to my unique circumstances these layouts are a deal breaker for me thus the reason I have not used one
    And until others started bring up the subject I stayed silent thinking I was the only one

I applauded you for standing up for your sponsor and trying to squelch any negative remarks but I am allowed an opinion
    I’m glad you are happy with it and don’t hold anything against you for being happy

But it doesn’t take much of an assumption to understand if you place rods and tackle boxes in the same rod locker they are going to move around and come in contact when you run rough water and that usually don’t end well

Next they took the use of the starboard side locker away when they made it into two doors making it just for storage rather than leaving it alone
    If storing tackle in rod lockers is ok why did they change it?

All I’m saying is each of us are unique and since not all of us are fans of the current layouts maybe there should be options for the higher end boats
    Skeeter is not and has not ever been a sponsor of mine. I buy my boats retail just like everyone else. I have ran my ZX250 with the team deck for a year in all types of water and conditions and have yet to have the boxes hitting my rods or shifting around. That is actual experience and not opinion.

Skeeter is not and has not ever been a sponsor of mine. I buy my boats retail just like everyone else. I have ran my ZX250 with the team deck for a year in all types of water and conditions and have yet to have the boxes hitting my rods or shifting around. That is actual experience and not opinion.
    Well I fish St Clair, Erie and connecting waters and I’ve seen the results of rough runs back to the weigh in

Fact not opinion

You keep "assuming" I have no experience with these situations
    I’ve owned 5 skeeters (only brand I’ve owned) in my 40 years of fishing in what I call rough water things can a do move around in lockers and storage compartments even the Zx250 I run

And if there was a deck layout on the current 21 footers where I could reach in one storage compartment from the sitting position up front I would be in my 6th Skeeter

Not to mention I have to put all rods on the deck over the starboard locker/lockers now causing me to have to move all my rods every time to get in these compartments

I considered the team layout and looked very hard at it but I would have to heavily modify one of the center lockers for storage that I could reach and it would limit the amount of tackle I could place within my reach cutting my current amount in half
    And I’m getting to dam old to be climbing up and down from the seat all day

Now if it was just me criticizing the layouts I would not expect them to change anything but as we now know I’m not the only one that would like to see options

P.S.
    Verkeith,

This is a "traditional" Deck Layout
    https://skeeterboats.com/Skeeter-Boat.php?id=101

rod lockers on either side and 2 storage compartments down the middle
    Skeeter only started using the large center lockers about 5 years ago on the ZX series
    "The handicapped angler"

18. Member
    MichAngler couldn't you get that traditional deck layout in the FXR?

I see what your saying now I think the large center deck lid is the issue for you. But with the Team layout you could use the port side as a rod locker and then use the middle 2 lids for tackle storage. That is what I plan to do with mine and then keep rain suits and such on the starboard side.
    Last edited by SkeeterZXR21SHO; 07-08-2020 at 02:10 PM.

19. Member
    P.S.
    Verkeith,

This is a "traditional" Deck Layout
    https://skeeterboats.com/Skeeter-Boat.php?id=101

rod lockers on either side and 2 storage compartments down the middle
    Skeeter only started using the large center lockers about 5 years ago on the ZX series[/QUOTE]
    Gotcha, now I see...my current 2019 ZX190 has and my previous 2012 TZX170 had that traditional layout...2 smaller center storage boxes compared to a larger center storage box

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos294HO View Post
    MichAngler couldn't you get that traditional deck layout in the FXR?

I see what your saying now I think the large center deck lid is the issue for you. But with the Team layout you could use the port side as a rod locker and then use the middle 2 lids for tackle storage. That is what I plan to do with mine and then keep rain suits and such on the starboard side.
    I could use the two coffin style compartments for storage and still have the same amount of tackle within my reach
    But the modifications would preclude me from using them as rod lockers and leave me with just one rod locker

I keep 15 to 20 rods in the boat any given day and they aren’t going to fit in just one locker

Also the way I get in the seat I use the stowed trolling motor as a hand hold to help left my fat… up into the seat so I can’t leave any rods on the port side of the deck forcing me to keep them on the starboard side on top of what Skeeter is offering as storage requiring me to move all my rods every time I needed something from that storage or just leave them empty rendering them useless

If they had left the starboard locker alone I would be more than happy to turn the two coffin style compartments into full storage I’m not new to modifying things to fit my needs but they have made enough changes that it’s not going to work for me
    "The handicapped angler"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast