Question regarding front step storage on 2008 18 Explorer

Hi all,

Recently purchased a 2008 18 Explorer. I have a question regarding the front step up/storage compartment.

I'm somewhat confused as to what it's supposed to be. Currently, it is just a carpeted storage lid with no strap and no handle to open it. I just take it off and set it to the side. But, the storage area inside is interesting to me. it's very deep (goes down to the hull) and it just seems as if there's supposed to be some sort of insert there. Is this supposed to be a cooler? What insert am I missing that I can buy? Also, any ideas on how I can put a handle or strap on the lid so it doesn't come fully off?

Thanks all!

The step up to the front of the boat? On my 2008 TR186, it was a cooler. Does it have a drain hole and plug?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

3. Member
    Got the same boat and had the same reaction when I pulled the step off. I've seen a few videos of the cooler on Youtube. I was thinking of seeing if Ray's Marine could possibly have the insert or just fabricating one out of a small cooler or whatever. The lid is on a hinge in the back and the top has a latch similar to the other compartments. Right now I'm focused on reproping with a Spitfire X7 since this thing is the dog of all dogs out of the hole (during a tournament) with the 20p Laser 2 on it now.
    Last edited by Huskerhunt; 07-22-2020 at 12:37 PM.

4. Member
    It's supposed to be the cooler.