Stupid NOOB question?

I haven’t built the first rod yet, but I may attempt it soon. What is the difference between the thread used for rod wrapping and a high quality sewing thread? Sorry, if this is a stupid question to the experts but I’m curious.
    2011 Legend Alpha 211 DC
    250 Pro XS
    Solix 10 G2 MSI & Onix 10 NT
    Elite 9 Ti2 connected to
    Motorguide Xi5 105

2. Banned
    I beleive kevlar i bought some off mudhole to repair some broken guidesand if im not mistaken its kevlar

3. Member
    Sewing thread generally has silicone on it and will wreck havoc with your finish creating all sorts of problems..

Sewing thread will fuzz up. Nylon rod thread will not.

5. Member
    Most rod building threads are nylon or polyester and there's no silicone like DOC said. In a pinch for an emergency repair to a guide in the hotel room the night before a tournament, sure, you can use sewing thread from Walmart and some clear Sally Hanson Hard as Nails and it'll work but it's not going to look great. I actually used 10lb braid once...lasted the day just fine. Anyway, regular thread is cheap so just use that.

6. Member
    That makes sense. Thanks! That clears that up!
    2011 Legend Alpha 211 DC
    250 Pro XS
    Solix 10 G2 MSI & Onix 10 NT
    Elite 9 Ti2 connected to
    Motorguide Xi5 105

7. Member
    Kevlar thread, if it's non stretch like braided fishing line is, will not work for wrapping guides. You need the stretch in the thread to keep the guide secure. Other wise it's just going to fall off.

8. Banned
    I stick with the Pro Wrap and Fuji Ultra Poly threads. They're cheap and readily available.

9. Member
    As has been posted sewing thread often will fuzz and is coated with silicone, but will work for quickie repairs. Sewing thread makes a nice finish difficult if not impossible when you're building a rod. I would ad that there is a difference between NCP (no color preserver needed) or color fast thread; and nylon thread. NCP or color fast thread has a color preserver in the thread and the color on the spool is the same after finish is applied. Nylon thread is not treated with a color preserver and the color will often darken and/or become transparent when finish is applied. To prevent the change in nylon thread you must apply a color preserver before finish, which for mean I just use NCP thread.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Sewing thread generally has silicone on it and will wreck havoc with your finish creating all sorts of problems..
    This ☝️

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hair Jig View Post
    Sewing thread will fuzz up. Nylon rod thread will not.
    And this ☝️

12. Member
    If you must use sewing thread you can use Sulky Metallics with no issues readily available at most art stores.

If you find a.sewing thread you really like you can use Color Preserver over the sewing thread creating a barrier between the lubricant on most sewing thread and the epoxy you will apply. This will prevent the fish eyes and "fuzz nubs" previous users posted about.

Some Maderia thread is also non lubricated and offer a ton of different shades and colors.
    Thanks
    DG

13. Member
    I have actually built a rod just for grins with metallic sewing thread. Looks decent and I have had that rod for 10 years.