20 hour service Merc Warranty

2B643656 2019 merc 250 Pro XS 4s. I was told that a mercury tech/ service department had to do the 20 hour service for the engine warranty. I was told that they had to confirm that break in was done properly. Is this true?
    Also I was out a couple days ago and the merc monitor did its check and all systems checked out. While under way the motor let out one beep and cut out. I started it again after I let it sit, all systems checked out. Ran it again and the same beep and cut off. Let it sit again, system checked out. Ran it for the next 2 days for about 5 hours with no further issues. Is this something I need to be concerned with? Should I have the dealership do the 20 hour service because of the issues described? Engine currently has 20 hours.

2. Member
    The 20 hour service is recommended not mandated and there is no reason why you can't do it yourself if you have the skills. I would definitely take it in to have the codes and data read before running again.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As stated, the 20 hour service is not a MANDATORY service. It is recommended- and yes, you could do it yourself (service must be completed PROPERLY, and I strongly encourage you to use OEM Mercury fluids/filters).

You do need to get the engine on the Computer Diagnostic System (G3-2019) for Printouts of the RUN HISTORY and the Freeze Frame (Fault) History. Don't continue running the engine knowing that faults occurred (until or unless proven that there is no longer a problem).

While you're in for that, be sure to have the dealer perform Service Bulletin 2019-015 on your engine (EPA Decal Overlay).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks for the information.