Lowrance Ghost TMC1 Compass

How difficult is it to calibrate without Lowrance Fishfinders? I'm unable to hear the beep.

2. Member
    The fishfinders don't help you there at all. The beep comes from the head unit. I had somebody sit on my deck while I drove the boat. It took about 3 turns but they finally did hear the beep.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    Thank's NoCal

4. Member
    My Ghost does not beep.

5. Member
    It does, they are just very quiet. Some more than others. If you do the bow offset calibration, while all is still and with you sitting on the deck, you will hear it.

NoCAL
    2B112175

6. Member
    How will the anchor lock act if the TMC compass isn't calibrated?

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Warrix View Post
    How will the anchor lock act if the TMC compass isn't calibrated?

Mine would hold great some days, then go absolutely nuts some days. By nuts, I mean it would send me 20’ one direction and then 20’ another direction. I failed to read the instructions fully upon installing and I had one of the first ones on this site, so there wasn’t much talk about the calibration.

I had mine on the water Sunday for the first time. I ran the calibration twice and never could hear the beep. I am a little hard of hearing and outdoors with outdoor noise I found it impossible to hear. Nevertheless, I spot locked it on a sailboat mooring block on the bottom in 15 feet and 10 minutes later the block hadn't moved at all in relation to the boat so the calibration must have worked. I have to say it seems to hold better than my Ultrex did.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

9. Member
    Mine must not be calibrated Have tried twice now When I hit anchor lock it will take me backwards then left and right but will finally settle down on a spot

10. Member
    Both calibrations are important. Just as important is to be relatively still when hitting anchor. Pressing anchor sets a waypoint that the motor will try to stay on. If you are moving, it tries to get back the the spot that you set seconds ago. You can have some pretty wild swings if you hit it while moving very fast. Mine did as grout before I did the calibrations. Now it is rock solid.

NoCAL
    2B112175

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    It does, they are just very quiet. Some more than others. If you do the bow offset calibration, while all is still and with you sitting on the deck, you will hear it.

NoCAL
    Sorry mine does not beep. Even my 23 year old grandson can not hear a beep. It also doesn't spot lock within a 20' radius.

12. Member
    When you go into calibration mode do the lights flash? There should be an audible beep when entering calibration mode. You should also hear one when hitting the anchor button. If you don't and you are having this many issues with the anchoring, maybe you'll need to call customer service. I haven't heard of anyone with a Ghost issue yet but you could be the first.

NoCAL
    2B112175

13. Member
    For some reason my girlfriend can hear the beep much better than I can. I think the tone just doesn't work very well with male selective hearing.
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    When you go into calibration mode do the lights flash? There should be an audible beep when entering calibration mode. You should also hear one when hitting the anchor button. If you don't and you are having this many issues with the anchoring, maybe you'll need to call customer service. I haven't heard of anyone with a Ghost issue yet but you could be the first.

NoCAL
    Yes lights flash, no beep in bow offset cal, no beep in compass cal, no beep period. Going to give new compass calibration another try using big motor and bigger circle. If that doesn't work the dealer can deal with it. Anchor mode goes into high speed writhing like a snake tail with it's head cut off.

15. Member
    If you have a point 1 on your boat as well, sit at console, using the turn rate data from your point 1 and your outboard, do your calibration that way. I set mine to calibration mode, and using point 1 turn rate and outboard was able to complete the calibration very easily. Our ghost holds very well without any swings or hunting to speak of. We are thrilled with ours so far, but have only had it out a couple of times so far.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    225 Optimax

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clayrhye View Post
    If you have a point 1 on your boat as well, sit at console, using the turn rate data from your point 1 and your outboard, do your calibration that way. I set mine to calibration mode, and using point 1 turn rate and outboard was able to complete the calibration very easily. Our ghost holds very well without any swings or hunting to speak of. We are thrilled with ours so far, but have only had it out a couple of times so far.
    No Point One

17. Banned
    There have been many guys saying they can’t hear the beep, which is odd; because mine is fairly loud. But enough have said it now, that I think they might have some kind of defect with some of their beepers.

Not calibrating seems like 2 possible issues: one could be a defective TMC, which we have read here before from a member or two. The other issue is electric or magnetic interference, this is why a person should test the TMC location before installation. If the dealership did the install, then....I don’t know what the answer is. Try moving the TMC, redo both calibrations and hope you don’t have a new giant hole someplace where the TMC used to sit.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    No Point One
    I would still recommend using the outboard to make the circle if possible. Just make a nice big circle that takes about a minute to complete if I remember correctly.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    225 Optimax

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    There have been many guys saying they can’t hear the beep, which is odd; because mine is fairly loud. But enough have said it now, that I think they might have some kind of defect with some of their beepers.

Not calibrating seems like 2 possible issues: one could be a defective TMC, which we have read here before from a member or two. The other issue is electric or magnetic interference, this is why a person should test the TMC location before installation. If the dealership did the install, then....I don’t know what the answer is. Try moving the TMC, redo both calibrations and hope you don’t have a new giant hole someplace where the TMC used to sit.
    Disclaimer: I am hard of hearing.

There were two of us on the boat when we did my calibration on the TMC. We heard the beep when we did bow offset. Neither of us heard the beep when we calibrated the TMC, but it did indeed calibrate quite easily.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    225 Optimax