Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3" C channel vs 4" C Channel on new Classic Trailers

Very large cost difference between the two...is it only the frame that is different or does the 3" trailer come with inferior axle parts, brakes, etc?

I am really starting to lean towards the 3" to save on cost, plus I wasn't too impressed with the torsion axle system on my Pantera 4 trailer.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

2. Member
    I believe it’s a different wheel and tire package with a different fender as well.

3. Member
    Most will say the 3 inch is plenty! I do kno its different wheel size (14 inch) not sure about fender. Also Bcb has started using grease hubs. Not sure if its still torsion or not. I kno the cost is more. But IMO this is one place I'd upgrade to the 4 inch. Im a metal guy though and just my thought. Bigger is better. I seen a p2 on a 3 inch and just dont look as good either. The 3 inch will handle the load easily especially a dual axle. Every one has opinions. Just my thoughts.
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

4. Member
    Beside having a 3 inch channel, the standard trailer on the Classic has 14 inch wheels instead of 15, and is spring axle as opposed to torsion. I upgraded. Resale is important to me, and if I were looking for a boat, I would want the stronger trailer. Having said that though, the 3 inch is probably more than adequate.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

thanks for the input....I am almost leaning towards the 3" because it uses spring axles......after replacing the expensive torsion axles, end units, etc on my last boat I feel like the tried and true spring axle may be more reliable and less maintenance required. That being said I am not a huge fan of the 14" wheels and the 15" rogues and stalkers are very good looking on the classics I have seen. I noticed that almost no dealers with classics in stock have the 3" frame....planning to keep the boat for 10 plus years so resale is not really my main concern. Reliability and longevity on the trailer is though.

6. Member
    I believe Bass Cat had said they have had less issues on the 3 inch. Like you said because of the spring setup. They told me the had 1000s of miles on the 3 inch with no issues. I ended up going 3 inch for all mentioned. But the 4 inch does look better. I don't think either way is wrong.

Ya, while more customers prefer torsion axles, we really like long term service and durability offered through spring and welded axles. The 3” frames save a few hundred pounds also.

Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    thanks for the input....I am almost leaning towards the 3" because it uses spring axles......after replacing the expensive torsion axles, end units, etc on my last boat I feel like the tried and true spring axle may be more reliable and less maintenance required. That being said I am not a huge fan of the 14" wheels and the 15" rogues and stalkers are very good looking on the classics I have seen. I noticed that almost no dealers with classics in stock have the 3" frame....planning to keep the boat for 10 plus years so resale is not really my main concern. Reliability and longevity on the trailer is though.
    +1. 6 1/2 years with my Cougar. Both axles replaced once, front axle replaced a second time. Tires still wearing on the inside edge after a ridiculously low amount of mileage. I put a lot of miles on my rig so I pull all the wheels twice a year just to check the torque on the trailing arms bolts. It's a PITA. I've just resigned myself to replacing 1-2 tires every year. But hey, according to BCB, I'm bouncing my rig off curbs so it's my bad.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    +1. 6 1/2 years with my Cougar. Both axles replaced once, front axle replaced a second time. Tires still wearing on the inside edge after a ridiculously low amount of mileage. I put a lot of miles on my rig so I pull all the wheels twice a year just to check the torque on the trailing arms bolts. It's a PITA. I've just resigned myself to replacing 1-2 tires every year. But hey, according to BCB, I'm bouncing my rig off curbs so it's my bad.
    Have you ever pulled a tape measure on each side from the ball hitch to each attachment point of those axles. Those welded attacment points could be off alittle
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

would the 15" Rogues or stalkers fit on the 3" frame trailer with the spring axle setup if I wanted to upgrade just the wheels?

We don’t believe that’s an option.

ok. thanks for the input! Some other questions....will a helix 12 fit in dash of the new classic? I know a Solix 12 will but not sure on the helix.

13. Member
    I just purchased a new classic on a 3 inch trailer, and I won't lie I was concerned at first. However, I made a 500 mile drive home that day almost all at 65 to 70. I never saw the trailer flex and it held it's lane effortlessly. I also live on a bumpy, horribly paved road and when I'm leaving the house I can see the boat is very well cradled. I see zero movement.

To answer the helix 12 question. I have a 9 flush mounted and I believe a 12 would fit. But I will be glad to measure for you when I get home.

Thanks for the information!

15. Member
    The 3 inch trailer will be plenty strong enough. You can buy single axle 4 inch for a PII. So a tandem 3 should be plenty.
    I believe the biggest eyesore is the 14 inch wheels. If you can find a 15 or 16 inch rim to match the lugs it would completely change the look on the 3 inch frame trailer.
    Longevity goes to the leaf spring set up. If I could change the wheels, the 3 inch would be a no brained. Especially if you plan on keeping it long term.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

16. Member
    I have the three inch. It gets towed thousands of miles between Washington and Arizona, Cali etc and does just fine. I had to cut corners somewhere and after talking to BassCat decided to stay with the standard 3". Now the tires it comes with on the other hand... I have had 4 flats on 3 different tires. All screws nails etc. Each time happened on the freeway. I think the tires may need better puncture resistance?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    ok. thanks for the input! Some other questions....will a helix 12 fit in dash of the new classic? I know a Solix 12 will but not sure on the helix.
    I have a Helix 12 in the dash on mine. It fits fine.

Quote Originally Posted by db220 View Post
    I have a Helix 12 in the dash on mine. It fits fine.
    awesome! thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ZethKinnettFishing View Post
    I have the three inch. It gets towed thousands of miles between Washington and Arizona, Cali etc and does just fine. I had to cut corners somewhere and after talking to BassCat decided to stay with the standard 3". Now the tires it comes with on the other hand... I have had 4 flats on 3 different tires. All screws nails etc. Each time happened on the freeway. I think the tires may need better puncture resistance?
    yea that is where I am at...the 4" is an expensive upgrade and I think I am sold on the traditional spring axle of the 3". Glad to hear yours has been flawless besides the tire! I have watched your Youtube videos of your Classic and appreciate the honest reviews!

is there a factory option to add livewell recircs on the classic? fishing Miss river tournies you can go from main river smallies to backwater largies and it isn't always ideal to have to pump in fresh water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast