Thread: Fury4 RPM’s

Fury4 RPM’s

All,

What should I be turning at WOT?

Here is my setup:

96 Ranger 391v (19’3”)
    02 Merc EFI (200hp)
    Fury4 (24P) (Currently no plugs installed)

I think the max RPM for my motor is 5800, not sure what optimal at WOT is though. Currently at WOT I am turning about 5100-5200 RPM. Great hole shot currently no complaints there.

Is there any combination of plugs that will increase rpm or will plugs in general decrease rpm?

Water pressure at WOT is around 25 on gauge as well, I am not sure what optimal is but I know my last prop ran about 15?

thanks

2. Member
    I should also add I have a 6” T-H Maine hydro jacket JP as well.

3. Member
    Do you know what the prop to pad measurement is?

4. Member
    I don’t Toby.

I also noticed that although the hole shot is great I have a tougher time staying on pad at 3000-3250 rpm, get a lot of up and down movement herky jerky, I run mostly big water so that kind of sucks, maybe a few plugs may help that not sure but I don’t think I can sacrifice any rpm

5. Member
    I spent the last month trying to find the best 4 blade for my boat, ranger 519 w 225. The first thing is to have the most accurate readings you can get ( rpms, prop to pad, and water pressure). When you have all these it makes it easier to figure out what prop you need. All my gauges that came on the boat were a little off. I mainly tested the fury 4 and bravo 1 xs. My results were the fury 4 was a little faster and ran deeper on the prop to pad setting. The bravo had better hole shot, lower planing speed, higher on jackplate setting, but about 1-2 mph slower. All that being said, initially I would think you may have to much pitch or need to raise motor up. I’m not sure raising up the motor will give you another 500-600 rpms? The vent plugs usually only make a difference on hole shot. Once you get on plane they don’t really come into play.

6. Member
    Thanks for all the info Toby.

I guess I am not 100% sure any of the gauges that came with the boat are completely accurate either, I ordered a vessel view mobile and hope to get more out of that. I do know this prop compared to my last seems to increase water pressure and slightly lower RPM considering all things the same.

How do I go about measuring prop to pad?

Most times I am running JP all the way down and rarely trimmed out past vertical as I pretty much run fought water so maybe tinkering with that stuff more could make a difference. Hopefully I can figure out a way to stay on pad in lower rpms as I will need that more than top speed, will plugs maybe make a difference with this issue?

7. Member
    If you go to the top of the props section, there is prop faqs thread that gives alot of info on pvs plugs and checking prop to pad information. If you really want a prop that will let you run on plane at lower speeds, you might want to look at a bigger diameter 4 blade.

8. Member
    Is your 2002 Mercury 200 a 2.5 L motor or a 3.0 L motor there is a big difference between the two.

9. Member
    It is a 2002 Mercury 2.5 L EFI (200hp)

10. Member
    25 lbs water pressure shows your running too low prop to pad and lugging that motor which likes to rev as close to 5800 as you can get it but you don't want to run the fury too high or it can throw a blade. Older Rangers like a lot of bow lift and get better lift with a tempest plus prop than a fury 3. That fury runs with no plugs for best hole shot and the holes don't effect top speed. If your trying to stay on pad at slower speeds a bravo xs way be the prop for you probably a 25 pitch.

11. Member
    Ok I didn’t realize prop had that much of an effect on water pressure. I guess I may have to look into a different prop, so since I can’t turn my current Fury4 24P to optimal RPM what pitch Bravo1 can should I try.

Would be nice to correct the high water pressure & rpm issue with just a different prop.

12. Member
    Prop to Pad = 3.75"

13. Member
    Try raising the motor until you either start losing speed or water pressure. Then drop in back down 1/4”, that should be where that prop should run. A 24p Fury is like running a 25 Tempest, the motor most likely won’t turn that prop to max rpm. Also make sure you’re getting accurate readings from the tach, a lot of times the analog tachs are way off.
    2011 Legend Alpha 211 DC
    250 Pro XS
    Solix 10 G2 MSI & Onix 10 NT
    Elite 9 Ti2 connected to
    Motorguide Xi5 105

14. Member
    Yeah I went ahead and purchased a vessel view mobile to be sure RPM readings were accurate and they are still low, but my bigger concern is my water pressure is still really high (35-40@wot).

Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    25 lbs water pressure shows your running too low prop to pad and lugging that motor which likes to rev as close to 5800 as you can get it but you don't want to run the fury too high or it can throw a blade. Older Rangers like a lot of bow lift and get better lift with a tempest plus prop than a fury 3. That fury runs with no plugs for best hole shot and the holes don't effect top speed. If your trying to stay on pad at slower speeds a bravo xs way be the prop for you probably a 25 pitch.
    25 is not excessive and is not a indication of running the motor to deep, Low pressure can be a indicator of running to high
    Thank You Leon Pugh

16. Member
    If you raise the plate while running does the water pressure go down below 12 lbs at WOT.

17. Member
    I haven't raised more than about 1/2" so far and I got it down to about 25psi.