Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So saw a Meme about if you didn't have a phone, Would you know?

Actually it went along the lines of:

Somewhere there's a poor fool that doesn't have a Phone, out in Nature sitting next to a waterfall, that doesn't know that they are supposed to be scared to death of Covid right now.

So that got me to thinking. If you were not Told Over and Over about Covid and how bad it was, would you know it was happening?

Serious Question. If it wasn't shoved in your face each day several times a day would you even notice anything was going on?

Would those wearing Masks be wearing them and putting down those that don't?

Would States and Cities be making the wearing of Masks mandatory?

What say you?

2. Member
    I say no, people look at social media as the gospel and not what it is Entertainment.

3. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    I haven't done social media ever, besides BBC, for that reason. Facts are long gone in American culture.
    ------Co-founder of Post Derailment, LLC---------

4. Member
    Did you see the first episode of The Walking Dead? Just slip into a coma and maybe it'll all be over when you wake up. Or maybe everyone else will be gone. Hard to say.

5. Member
    just think....people used to think the world was flat

6. Member
    I stopped social media besides BBC back about 2 years ago and it was the best thing I’ve ever done for my mental health, health of my marriage, and employment. Delete all your social media accounts and you’ll realize how much time you actually waste scrolling through self righteous and self inflating posts that provide nothing to society other than creating instantaneous gratification and a false sense of happiness and inclusion.

if there was no social media people would still know about the current pandemic because newspaper and news sites would be king of media. Need just tracked more slowly and helps prevent opinions get pushed as facts. Social media is just inflating the egos of the local, national, and news leaders. The more controversial something is the more popular it becomes. On social media, opinions are pushed as gospel and the more something gets liked or shared, the more it’s being accepted as fact. I believe if there was no social media, more people wearing masks and taking precautions because they wouldn’t have the pack mentality being fed by social media.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

7. Member
    I'm now a recent member of BBC and until now have been an active member of only a couple other forums. Never done Snapchat, Facebook or any of the other Walmart mentality social media and never will. I get news from dependable sources and not the propagandizing alphabet soup you can see on TV or radio although I do read some of their stupidity merely to see how it compares to reality. There are real information sources out there with little to no bias but they don't offer the weather girls that double as strippers on the side.

I've been telling people that although I'm not the one to first coin the catch phrase "social distancing" I have more practice at it than most. Funny thing is, most of the people I'm willing to actually talk to face to face feel the same way. I believe in staying informed with fact rather than fiction.

8. Member
    This isnt the first time in history people have had to wear mask. They did it in 1918 and there sure wasnt any social media then.

Well since I know people with it, yes I’d still wear a mask out. And I don’t understand why people are so scared to wear one. I highly doubt the governors of the states are doing it because they saw it on Facebook.

Newspapers would have still reported on this. Nightly news would have as well. I’m sure we’d be at a higher mortality rate as well without the coverage.

Social media, 3 hour news cycle, sucks in my opinion, but is is the world we live in now. Great thing is no one forcing you to have a cell or internet, your choice.

10. Member
    I tried Facebook for a week, too much hate and negativity.

Quote Originally Posted by cmscoach View Post
    I tried Facebook for a week, too much hate and negativity.
    Yeah, there isn't any here.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    just think....people used to think the world was flat
    Some still do...

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    ... you’ll realize how much time you actually waste scrolling through self righteous and self inflating posts that provide nothing to society other than creating instantaneous gratification and a false sense of happiness and inclusion...

Oh the irony... Dan

13. Member
    There where pandemics before TV, phones, and social media and the people knew what was happening. Lookup the spanish flu. Like it or not, all this media attention and the pressure to wear face masks and socially distance yourself will save lives.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

14. Member
    THIS IS THE END .............DOORS 1968

We don’t have tv, just phones. We don’t watch any news whatsoever but do follow Facebook. It’s pretty simple. If you don’t like it, keep scrolling. Getting offended by something someone posts on social media (including BBC we see it everyday with all the closed threads) is like getting pissed about stepping in dog shit after staring at it for 5 minutes.

16. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    The masks have compounded the difficulties for folks trying to text/check their FB feed while driving.
    Who controls John Gill?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    Yeah, there isn't any here.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    Some still do...

Oh the irony... Dan

Thats too funny!!!

19. Dogfish_Jones
    I do not have any social platform like Facebook or any of the other stuff you can do. I am on two forums, here and a Civil War forum. One thing is I just do get offended by what people type. I do not even get offended by what people say, one exception...don’t bad mouth my family to me....that will fire me up.
    Here when I am in a thread where it’s back and forth, (which seems to be on a regular bases...lol), I do not get bent out of shape by what people type. It does make me wonder at times how they can think that way or how they have even survived life past ten but I never take comments to heart and get my feathers ruffled over it. I find a lot of stuff here very informative and helpful pertains to fishing/boating. Political stuff....we all have opinions of what we think is right or wrong and thankfully we have a right to do so...until Al pulls the plug but that’s his right to, he owns the place and I understand that.
    I have not watch a full newscast in over 30 years. I might watch some big event that happened on the news but not the hum drum rambling news. All in all I find this place a good place to read, and be in the company of really why we all gather here, it’s fishing. After November 4th, most of all the bickering will settle down. It’s just an election year and we all know and have the answers to all the problems, problem is they will not listen to us, meaning the politicians.

20. Banned
    I didn’t have a pocket phone for most of my life. Never been on Facebook or other social media platforms. I have always used multiple sources to form my opinions and always will. I will continue to keep a safe distance from others but will not wear something that has absolutely zero studies showing it is effective with viruses. Harassment,shaming,and guilt trips don’t work with me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast