New Tempest A47 Plus / Flo-Torq II Hub Kit questions ??

Purchased a new Tempest Plus A47 25P w/ a Flo-Torq II Hub Kit (835257K 6). Removing the old Tempest A45 (flung an ear) there was only a single Thrush Washer Spacer, or it could've been a Forward Thrust Washer, with the spline / line catcher ridge side on the LU side of the shaft. No wear or damage that I could see.

Question:

Installing the new A47 should I do just as the Flo-Torq directions say (see the pic) for SHO's and use a Thrust Washer (a) which fits / slides 'into' the Thrust Washer Spacer (b) ? This is how it works correct - the two kinda become one piece?

To use both I have to leave the Washer (g) out of the mix as there's not enough of the shaft for the castle & cotter pin to work.

Thanks

Tempest Plus.jpg
    Last edited by BassinLA13; 07-07-2020 at 05:14 PM.
    2024 Z520R / 2022 250 ProXS

2. Member
    Not enough room for both before or after torqued?
    What foot pounds are you torquing it to?

The hub may not be fully seated. May have to press the hub in tighter.

At your own risk....
    Use what you need to to get proper spacing between the prop and housing while also allowing castle nut and cotter pin to align when torqued to spec (see owners manual).

I do not use A and double up G because I didnt like the way the large gap between the housing and prop (Tempest and Fury4 on 250 SHO).

Also there is debate on proper torque, Yamaha says lower number but props have worked loose and eaten lower housing, other say higher torque.

3. Member
    Double

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by friogatto View Post
    Not enough room for both before or after torqued?
    What foot pounds are you torquing it to?

The hub may not be fully seated. May have to press the hub in tighter.

At your own risk....
    Use what you need to to get proper spacing between the prop and housing while also allowing castle nut and cotter pin to align when torqued to spec (see owners manual).

I do not use A and double up G because I didnt like the way the large gap between the housing and prop (Tempest and Fury4 on 250 SHO).

Also there is debate on proper torque, Yamaha says lower number but props have worked loose and eaten lower housing, other say higher torque.

I'm cranking it down as hard as I can but never used a torque ext. so no idea of foot pounds. And no way I can get the cotter hole to show if I use the washer (g). I'll check to see the hub isn seated properly ...

So you use only the Thrust Washer Spacer (B) and a couple of washers (g) correct ? Hmmm .... I wonder why Hub Kit instructions say a + b for SHO's.

Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by BassinLA13; 07-07-2020 at 05:36 PM.

5. Member
    There's no way you can use just "part B' (thrust washer spacer). Part "A" is the actual thrust washer portion of the 2 piece SHO system, so without it you would damage your shaft, seals, housing, etc.. On my Razor 4 prop I use a Rubex hub kit. It also came with part B to go along with part A (original Yamaha thrust washer). Like yours, this combination also pushed the aft spacer, washer and nut back about 1/8" further than my Yamaha prop so I couldn't get the cotter pin in. I called Mark Croxton who told me to use the Quicksilver thrust washer #12-853948T (for Yamahas) instead of the 2-piece thrust washers. It then fit perfectly...no problems.

FYI: Also, before, when I tried a Flo-torq II hub kit, I remember the directions said to torque to 100lbs (not 55lbs) when using the extra Hub Bushing, part C, bottom drawing.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

6. Member
    To double check, you might also want to send a pm to "21XCD" as he knows lots about props...
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    There's no way you can use just "part B' (thrust washer spacer). Part "A" is the actual thrust washer portion of the 2 piece SHO system, so without it you would damage your shaft, seals, housing, etc.. On my Razor 4 prop I use a Rubex hub kit. It also came with part B to go along with part A (original Yamaha thrust washer). Like yours, this combination also pushed the aft spacer, washer and nut back about 1/8" further than my Yamaha prop so I couldn't get the cotter pin in. I called Mark Croxton who told me to use the Quicksilver thrust washer #12-853948T (for Yamahas) instead of the 2-piece thrust washers. It then fit perfectly...no problems.

FYI: Also, before, when I tried a Flo-torq II hub kit, I remember the directions said to torque to 100lbs (not 55lbs) when using the extra Hub Bushing, part C, bottom drawing.
    Ok so I have actually have a one piece Quicksilver Thrust Washer # 12-835467-1 which fits snugly on the prop shaft and looks identical online to the #12-853948T ... so I'll try that for the time being but I'll order up a 12-853948T as well.

I'll also reach out to 21XCD.

Thanks McQuaig!

8. Member
    You're welcome...but i would check with someone to be sure the thrust washer i mentioned will also mate properly to your hub insert (mine is a Rubex, not torq-flo).
    I looked up on Quicksilver site and it appears the thrust washer you have, #12-835467-1 is for Evinrude/Johnson.....are you sure you have the correct hub kit for SHO?
    Last edited by McQuaig; 07-07-2020 at 07:51 PM.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    You're welcome...but i would check with someone to be sure the thrust washer i mentioned will also mate properly to your hub insert (mine is a Rubex, not torq-flo).
    I looked up on Quicksilver site and it appears the thrust washer you have, #12-835467-1 is for Evinrude/Johnson.....are you sure you have the correct hub kit for SHO?
    Yeah I'm seeing that too ... so I wonder if I should just use the two piece assembly (a+b) minus the washer (g) for time being ??

10. Member
    If you check with Wayne at Hydrotec Marine (417-725-5746), he had told me Flo-torq hub kit #835271Q2 is the one they use for the SHO...
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO