Generators for boat charging in remote areas

Looking for suggestions on wattage and brands on a generator that would fully charge a boat or two over night...dual pro 15 amp chargers charging a starting battery and three trolling motor batteries. Thanks!
    David
    2014 Ranger Z521C
    Fishing Lanier, Hartwell, Tennessee River & Coosa River

I used to put a quart of gas in my yamaha 2000 inverter and let it run out. Always fully charged

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

3. Banned
    Tailgator from harbor freight about $100

I'd recommend not getting a cheep generator. Get a name brand inverter style like a Honda eu2200i or similar Yamaha. Inverted style are computer safe. And a good charger may not like spikes of a cheap generator.

15 amps per baink at 12 volts is a lot less amps at 120 volts. My eu2000i doesn't come off low idle to charge my 40amp charger.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Honda 2200.

Other people will appreciate it. Very quiet. I have been around other ( I have one of the others) are so Daymn loud you can’t hear yourself think.

Before I drop 1-2K on a generator I would strongly consider The Power Pole battery management system. Most people think its a battery charger, which it does charge your batteries but in reality its more than just a charger. Do some research on it and you might give it a try instead of a generator. You boat motor supplies the power and keeps all your batteries charged. There would be no need for gas or toting around a heavy generator. The Power Pole charge weighs just a few pounds and is mounted just like a traditional battery charger but its nothing like a traditional battery charger. Contact BBC member KnKcustoms on the shallow water anchor forum here at BBC. He is a dealer and knows far more about them than I do.

That works when youre running around but not much good for charging your batteries at home after or before a trip.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    That works when youre running around but not much good for charging your batteries at home after or before a trip.
    If it keeps them at 100% or routinely above 90% then it will be okay for his particular situation. It's a battery management system. It will charge on the run, mover power from one battery to another and work as a tradional charger if needed. Most people confuse it with a charge on the run system or a traditional battery charger but what sets it apart is its ability to move power from one battery to another.

Power pole charge has a feature or two I like but is absolutely worthless to someone who fishes hard and doesn't recreationally drive around a bass boat. The Honda 2200 is 1000$ and has more uses than a power pole charge. Haha these fighting words!?
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

There are a lot of inverter generators out there that cost less than half of what a Honda does. Are they going to be as reliable? Probably not. But they're just as quiet and put out clean power just the same. I can see springing for the Honda if you're using it all the time - around here folks use them a ton for electricity in ice houses - but it seems asinine to me to spend that kind of coin on something you're not going to be using a lot. Grab a Predator from Harbor Freight and pay for the extended warranty, a Champion, or a Wen, or a Westinghouse, or any of the other multitude of options out there. Hell, Briggs makes a 2400 watt version now that retails at $700, and Briggs stuff has improved DRAMATICALLY in the last 10-15 years over the garbage that it became in the late 90s-early 2000s. Having run pressure washers with Honda motors and pressure washers with Briggs motors when I worked in commercial pressure washing, the Briggs motors held up a lot better believe it or not.

Plus, these are all 2000+ watt models. If you're only running your charger, you don't need all that capacity. 60 amps (15 amps * 4 banks) * 15 volts = 900 watts max draw. You could get yourself a 1,000-1,200 watt model and save even more if this is all you need to use it for.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

11. Member
    The 900 watt 2 stroke generator from Harbor Freight is what I use all season. Been doing it for 10+ years. Find a coupon and get it for less than the $125 it usually sells for.

I have a 4 bank Noco (10 amp) and it has no problems charging.

I have a champion 2000 watt and a Predator 3500 watt from Harbor Freight and both are awesome. The champion can be bought for around $500. Both inverter and super quiet.

13. Member
    I think the Honda is about 1125.00 but there are several inverter style almost as quiet for 500-600 dollars that are very good.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Before I drop 1-2K on a generator I would strongly consider The Power Pole battery management system. Most people think its a battery charger, which it does charge your batteries but in reality its more than just a charger. Do some research on it and you might give it a try instead of a generator. You boat motor supplies the power and keeps all your batteries charged. There would be no need for gas or toting around a heavy generator. The Power Pole charge weighs just a few pounds and is mounted just like a traditional battery charger but its nothing like a traditional battery charger. Contact BBC member KnKcustoms on the shallow water anchor forum here at BBC. He is a dealer and knows far more about them than I do.
    That will do no good if you run the motor for 3-5 minutes and spend all day on the TM.

15. Member
    You can get the Harbor Freight Predator 2k watt inverter for $469 with a coupon in their add or probably find it online. I have the 3,500 watt and have absolutely no complaints about it. I've used it several times over the last year. It's quiet and starts right up every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    That will do no good if you run the motor for 3-5 minutes and spend all day on the TM.
    this is what i was trying to say. I fish 3-4 times a week and only put 10hrs on my motor since i bought it 15-16mo ago

17. Member
    I bought my Champion 2000 at Rural King for 300.00 and rated as quiet as a Honda 2000

18. Member
    I wanted a bigger generator but also wanted one i could pick up and put in bed of truck myself. Bought a Yamaha 2400 several years ago and happy with it.