Thread: Holmes

Holmes

Is anyone else getting tired of Mike Holmes ? Just grinds my gears sometimes with his unlimited budget and constantly criticizing everything that was done before he came in and saved the day! Everyone wants it done right but not everyone can afford it. Always taking all the credit from the homeowners for the work done by others. Just a tool IMO. Rant done!

2. Member
    Don't care for him for that very reason. My big pet peave with him is he uses screws for most of his framing work which is wrong. Screws do not have the same shear strength as nails.
    John the Garage Doorman

Mike was great before he made it. Used to love his show.

4. Matt20xd
    Can't stand to watch those shows.

Watched a couple shows about 5-6 years ago and have not watched since! His arrogance criticizing everything anyone else had done was just not to my liking. Never any praise for any work besides his own.

Nothing wrong with pointing out work that was not to code, IMO. Too many bad contractors out there, that don't know the building codes and/or don't give a chit. I'd love to have him work on my house...not that I need a lot done to it, but I'd trust him. If the TV folks chip in a pile of $ to sweeten the deal, I'm good with that. Some of those TV flippers are annoying, tho. Christina ? is annoying as hell, but I'd like to see her serving drinks on Dan's Friday bar scene.

For full disclosure, the neighbor widow said she got contractors through one of the "List" things...so I signed up...can't recall the name right now. But we had a bathroom remodel planned and it really looked fishy...not in a good way. Three different companies sent their estimators, and all three were Israeli immigrants. Two were very personable, and didn't like the third one. BUT, way too much coincidence to suit me. All their bids were just under $20k, which was more than double what I expected for a small room with a toilet and shower. Whatever that "List" deal was, they were having lots of contractors call us, which got annoying, and they sent me a buttload of emails, which I just mark as "spam" so they don't clog up my inbox anymore. I wouldn't recommend signing up for any of those "list" things.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorman1 View Post
    Don't care for him for that very reason. My big pet peave with him is he uses screws for most of his framing work which is wrong. Screws do not have the same shear strength as nails.
    They do not have the same shear strength but have a better withdrawal strength i.e less likely to pull out so kind of balances out and both have their places. If I was framing in a hurricane or tornado prone area I'd go with nails all day everyday for that shear strength but he is a Canadian contractor so those concerns are probably not his.

8. Member
    Hell of a good man....just ask him.
    If at first you don\'t succeed,dont take up skydiving