Thread: All round rod

All round rod

I am seriously looking at the loomis 853c jwr for a all round rod read in several reviews it casts just about everything in its weight range and they lean on the lighter side of action ratings. I was just asking for any other rods that are med heavy that handle 1/4 to 3/4 with a 10 inch or longer handle in the 380$ or under range. I was looking at st Croix site and most of there longer handle rods are heavy or extra heavy 7’6 or bigger and from what I read st Croix tend to lean on heavier side of the action ratings. I’m not a fan of stiffer rods. Thanks in advance for advice I don’t have any shops that stock the higher end models to feel.

Thanks

Mike

2. Member
    I think a megabass orochi tour versatile would cover what youre looking for pretty well. And it comes in under what youre looking to spend. I think the new model orochis are solid rods. I own 7 right now

The ALX Toadface is my all purpose do everything rod

Keep in mind that Loomis 853 JWR is extra fast and designed for jig and worm fishing... it's not as all purpose as say something like the Megabass Tour Versatile mentioned above, though the Tour Versatile has more power and a slower action. In your price range however, the Megabass Destroyer Daemos is a 7'2" Medium Heavy jack of all trades rod. It covers a wide range of applications and does it well. The Diablo Spec R is the Orochi XX F5-72 and comes in at $299.

The Daiwa BLX 7'MH is an often over looked, very impressive all purpose rod. That entire series is becoming more popular now that more of them are getting out there. Feel free to send me a PM if I can help, there are a bunch of great options available at The Tackle Trap...

5. Member
    ^^x2 megabass daemos^^
    2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS

6. Member
    Dobyns 734 has been my most versatile rod. Big topwater, frog, spinnerbait, chatterbait, Texas rig, light flipping.
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRiverBandit View Post
    Dobyns 734 has been my most versatile rod. Big topwater, frog, spinnerbait, chatterbait, Texas rig, light flipping.
    +1 my favorite rod

Do you guys know the handle length on 734 from butt cap to where the cork ends I prefer a longer handle.

Also any of you Megabass bass owners that own the Versatile , Deanos, or rspec if you could get me the handle length from butt cap to where cork ends at reel seat. I can’t put my hands on one so this would be a purchase without holding a rod. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sh402 View Post
    Also any of you Megabass bass owners that own the Versatile , Deanos, or rspec if you could get me the handle length from butt cap to where cork ends at reel seat. I can’t put my hands on one so this would be a purchase without holding a rod. Thanks
    Tour Versatile = 10 1/4"
    Daemos = 10 3/4"
    EMTF = 11"
    DSR is on back order until September!

This is the "proper" way to measure handle length as you described above. Butt to where the cork/foam meets the reel seat. Feel free to PM me anytime...

11. Member
    Can't go wrong with a Megabass rod, but I'll throw the Shimano Expride 7'2" MH into the discussion as well. It's a fantastic rod for under $300 and is very versatile.

Well went all in on Megabass Daemos from tackletrap great guys and best deal around.

13. Member
    Gen 1 Orochi XX Diablo Spec R 10"