Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Just me.....when they found water in mine I didn't even ask how much was in it I just asked ok how much to rebuild didn't want to risk it.

2. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    Why is risking it even an option?
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

The school of hard knocks is a rough way to be educated!

3. Member
    You can change them yourself. I did the rebuild on mine for under 100. Had to make a puller though at work for it. Keystock a couple nuts and some all thread beveled to a point on the end for the prop shaft end. Pulled everything apart on my shop table and replaced all of the seals on it
    01 Charger 395
    2000 Yamaha OX66 225
    Black 10' Blade
    Garmin 93SV Humminbird 1159 console
    Garmin 93sv bow
    FX Custom Rods pro staff

4. Member
    What are all the tools I'd need if I were to tackle this job by myself?

5. Member
    Common hand tools. Pull the lower unit off. Some have to make sure its in neutral before pulling. I did have to build that puller which had 2 little hooks made from keystock that went inside the lower housing and the all thread to go on the end of the prop shaft that came to a point to hold center. Basically acts the same way as a gear puller. Just has longer legs. Once I pulled my lower unit off I just used the fitting from a LU oil bottle thats used to put gear oil in and some polytubing. Attached them together. Put a ball valve in line with it and a pressure gauge. Filled with 10psi and stuck the lower unit in a tote under water to watch where the bubble came from. Bought the rebuild kit from somewhere online. Full kit for entire engine. Around $100 or so. If I still had the rig I used to fill with air i would post a pic of it. I can post one of the gear puller once I find it
    01 Charger 395
    2000 Yamaha OX66 225
    Black 10' Blade
    Garmin 93sv bow
    FX Custom Rods pro staff

6. Member
    it may seem a little intimidating but its not the bad. Replace the impeller while you have it off too. If you can pull something apart and put it back together then you can handle this job. Did it in one evening. Did have some issues with the key on my impeller. Had to use a rotory disc and cut slices in the key to break it out
    01 Charger 395
    2000 Yamaha OX66 225
    Black 10' Blade
    Garmin 93sv bow
    FX Custom Rods pro staff

Pull the lower unit and pressure test it yourself. Shift shaft and drive shaft seals can be replaced yourself. Prop shaft seal would need a dealer to to replace. Good to have a Mercury manual for your motor too. I made a pressure tester from common parts and a bicycle pump.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Pull the lower unit and pressure test it yourself. Shift shaft and drive shaft seals can be replaced yourself. Prop shaft seal would need a dealer to to replace. Good to have a Mercury manual for your motor too. I made a pressure tester from common parts and a bicycle pump.
    I replaced the shift shaft myself. Wasn't too hard
    01 Charger 395
    2000 Yamaha OX66 225
    Black 10' Blade
    Garmin 93sv bow
    FX Custom Rods pro staff

9. Member
    I didn't want to tell you this because you seem a little mechanically challenged, but many prop seals can be changed at home. Get a illustrated parts breakdown, and there is probably a snap ring holding TWO seals back to back on the prop shaft. You take the snap ring off, and use the side of a sharp bladed screwdriver to scrape any irregularities off the housing around the seals. Then you drill a small hole in each side of the old seal. Thread a sheet metal screw into each side of the seal and with a claw, pull each seal out. Scrape any irregularities out of the cavity. Check the shaft for damage, drive two seals back in, use some sealant around them and replace the snap ring.

10. Member
    Not too mechanically challenged just from watching a video changing the lower unit seals on YouTube it looked like I’d need a couple hundred dollars worth of tools just to do the seal job myself, the guy also went in from the rear of the bearing carrier to remove the seals to disassembled everything. Figured if it was only going to cost a couple hundred more (after purchasing tools in the video)than to try and do myself I’d be better off just letting a shop do it.

11. Member
    Whatever. I changed mine in a 175 Suzuki, cost me the seals price. Worked fine.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 250bassFL View Post
    From not towing in gear as the manual says, even the propshaft had a groove worn into it. Top two shafts had major wear into them from rust chips falling from the steel couplings. Everything was messed up. And I thought I was only getting some water in from a bad seal. Wrong! Cost me lots.
    This is interesting. If I remember my 250 Pro XS manual had conflicting info in it. Instructions to put in neutral before killing engine. Instructions not to shift gears unless motor is running.
    GETFISHED !!!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    This is interesting. If I remember my 250 Pro XS manual had conflicting info in it. Instructions to put in neutral before killing engine. Instructions not to shift gears unless motor is running.
    Yep. We have talked about it on a couple threads now. Different motors are different.
    My 250 that came on my 06 ARIES, manual tells me to tow in gear. And since my propshaft is stainless steel, not steel, it caused a problem there. Which mine had others. But a seal replacement would not work because a groove was worn into the propshaft, and it wouldn't seat.

Quote Originally Posted by tayzak15 View Post
    I had about 0.5-1cup of water in there separated from the oil
    I know you want to hear it will be ok, Sorry it is not OK and there could already be other serious damage done, The risk is not worth it
    Last edited by lpugh; 07-16-2020 at 05:24 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

15. Banned
    Well, what Id like to know is why hasn't anyone mentioned the effect or pollution this is having on the lake (s). If its leaking out then where is it going? If you know its leaking then put the boat in the shop and get it fixed but using the boat knowing your creating an oil slick is wrong. We complain about chemicals being sprayed to kill grass in Florida, I don't think lower unit fluid leaking into your waters is any safer/better!

Compare the prices of replacing seals and replacing the lower unit. Personally? If it were me, I’d grab a plastic bucket and fish for bluegills while my motor was in the shop before trying to be a manly man and ride it out. YMMV.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    Compare the prices of replacing seals and replacing the lower unit. Personally? If it were me, I’d grab a plastic bucket and fish for bluegills while my motor was in the shop before trying to be a manly man and ride it out. YMMV.
    I understand. Mostly because I guide you in the area and lost out on 3 booked trips. I didn’t end up risking it though took it into the shop yesterday. Hopefully only seals and nothing else. Water has only been in there roughly 1 month. What are the odds much damage has been done?

Should just be new bearings and seals. Glad to hear you are getting it fixed and not polluting!
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

Quote Originally Posted by tayzak15 View Post
    I understand. Mostly because I guide you in the area and lost out on 3 booked trips. I didn’t end up risking it though took it into the shop yesterday. Hopefully only seals and nothing else. Water has only been in there roughly 1 month. What are the odds much damage has been done?
    If you are using mercury lube and only had a cup of water in there and it has not been setting for a long period of time the odds are in you favor that there is no other damage
    Thank You Leon Pugh

20. Member
    Got my lower unit back already. Luckily no other damage other than needing a new seal job!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast