Thread: Point-1 on bow

Point-1 on bow

Since I can't line up on brush piles correctly, I was going to change from using the internal GPS antenna on HDS Live 16 to a Point-1.
    Where is the preferred mounting location for the Point-1 on the bow on a Ranger 521L?
    I have a Hummingbird GPS antenna next to the Ultrex trolling motor on the bow rubber. Too close to that may cause interference.
    Joey Aderhold

2. Member
    The preferred mounting point for the Point 1 with heading sensor is on the stern in a location that does not have magnetic interference. You don't need the GPS receiver part of the Point 1, your internal GPS on the Live 16 is just as accurate. Since all you need is the heading sensor, the Point 1 can be mounted anywhere and the heading data shared over NMEA 2000. There are other pluses for having it at the stern maybe somebody else will come along and explain those.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    So I don't need a second Point 1? I have one installed, although not in the ideal place, behind the driver seat. I guess Ranger installed it there.
    I currently use the internal GPS on the HDS 16 but it's the heading I am really after. Using the internal GPS, the heading line spins unless you are moving.
    How do I use the heading sensor only on the HDS 16? That should solve my spinning line issue.

Further review shows me I have GPS set to the internal antenna and on the heading I am using the Point 1. So it does seem I have it set up as described above. May still need that Point 1.
    Last edited by jaderhold; 07-06-2020 at 03:03 PM.
    Joey Aderhold

4. Member
    Excellent advice, use it. Having the Point one on the stern allows for greater GPS accuracy. Be sure to calibrate the point one antenna and there is a YouTube video by Jacob Scott Lowrance product expert that details this procedure. Follow it.

5. Member
    On your bow unit select....Menu, settings, network, data sources, vessel,heading select Point-1

John

6. Member
    If you are not an expert in Lowrance and NMEA 2000, I would caution you against 2 Point 1s. The set up is not simple. Do as directed in the post above mine on the bow unit and your boat icon will always point directly at waypoints on the screen.

NoCAL
    2B112175

7. Member
    Select your rear point 1 as the source of heading for your front graph. Use your internal GPS, and only use the point 1 as heading. You already have the ideal setup.
    2004 Ranger 175VS/Mercury 125
    2018 Ram 2500-full thuren king 2.5 suspension

Quote Originally Posted by jaderhold View Post
    So I don't need a second Point 1? I have one installed, although not in the ideal place, behind the driver seat. I guess Ranger installed it there.
    I currently use the internal GPS on the HDS 16 but it's the heading I am really after. Using the internal GPS, the heading line spins unless you are moving.
    How do I use the heading sensor only on the HDS 16? That should solve my spinning line issue.

Further review shows me I have GPS set to the internal antenna and on the heading I am using the Point 1. So it does seem I have it set up as described above. May still need that Point 1.
    If you get a second Point 1 you'll just waste money and make things more complicated and probably won't solve your problem. While it can be done, setup up multiple Point 1s on one network can be a challenge. The group here can probably help you sort out your issue.

Does the heading work on other units on your boat?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaderhold View Post
    I have one installed, although not in the ideal place, behind the driver seat. I guess Ranger installed it there

The location of your point 1 is dependent on hw you mark brush piles. Using the scroll back method puts the waypoint exactly on the brush pile. Otherwise, the point one on the stern is e best location. You just need to remember you are approx 20 ft closer when facing it...if you use range rings.

Marking from the bow pt. 1 without scrolling back, puts you of by 20 ft., no matter which direction you come into the brush pile from.

A pt 1 behind the seat should be off no more than 5 ft when casting.

I wouldn't move it for that little of difference.

10. Member
    Some may not understand my current configuration. I currently have a Point-1 behind the driver seat on the back deck. It's not the optimal location for the truest location for when I am making waypoints as the transducer is mounted on the stern (about 5'-6' difference). I use the Point-1 for GPS and heading for the console units. I use the internal GPS antenna on the bow unit, a HDS16. I use the heading sensor on the Point-1 for this unit. What happens is I will pull up to a brush pile that I marked at either the bow or the console and I start casting. While watching the map as to where to the waypoint is, I am trying to line up the bow of the boat to the waypoint. IF I am moving toward said waypoint, the line is showing as pointed to the waypoint. If I am not moving toward the waypoint, the heading line starts spinning. That is why I was thinking of adding the second Point-1 to the bow of the boat and using that as the heading sensor for the bow unit.

Some have suggested to calibrating the bow unit, which I don't think I or anyone else has done since I bought it after changing out the HDS12 to a HDS16.
    Watched a video by Paul Gettys and he explains how to install a second Point-1 antenna to your NMEA network.

Before I actually install the second Point-1, I am going to try the calibration method and see if that solves my issue. If it does, I will return the Point-1.
    Joey Aderhold

11. Member
    I think I understand your system but something is not working correctly. The heading sensor is available for all units over the NMEA network. It's possible yours isn't working or your network isn't functional. When you go to Pages, Setup, Network, Data Sources and open the Vessel tab on the bow unit, you see the Point 1 and it is checked as the source? Mine is set up exactly the same, except my Point 1 is on the stern and once I point at a waypoint, it doesn't matter which way the wind blows I can always point the bow at the waypoint. If you don't see the Point 1 listed under the Vessel tab on the bow, check it on the console and report back.

NoCAL
    2B112175

12. Member
    It's highly unlikely that calibrating the Point-1 will resolve the issue you're describing. If you have confirmed that the Point-1 is being used for your heading, then I would suggest that you go into your settings and confirm that you have the "Heading Extension" line turned on and not the "Course Extension". Also how do you have your chart set up, for North up, Heading up or Course up?

13. Member
    You need to use the point one with the bow unit as well. The spinning should stop and the only difference will be you are 12-15 ft closer to the waypoint.
    As stated use heading up and the blue heading extension.

That's how mine is set up and I can hit 10 out of 10 brushpiles with that set up.

14. Member
    That's another good point. You must have Heading Up set in the Chart menu to take advantage of the Heading sensor.

NoCAL
    2B112175

15. Member
    Once I installed a Point 1, I run everything on all units on my NMEA network through it. I don't use any internal GPS on either unit and haven't had any problems with spinning. My Point 1 is on the stern.