Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Member
    Put your foot to the floor and ease into the trim. They drive exceptionally well above 83

2. Member
    Went fishing last night with a buddy. I didn't think to fill the live well and I had about 18 gallons of gas, my friend weighs about 250. The boat planed out pretty good, it has a spot where it slips just before the nose starts coming down. I'll have to plug a hole or two on the prop to fix that. Didn't get a high speed run with it but so far I'm still happy with 14" setback.

3. Member
    Ok, I'm on the lake right now, boat is empty with about 18 gallons of gas. Last I ran light I was down to around 8 gallons and could do 80 plus very easy. Today when I get close to 80 the bow starts bouncing ever so slightly up and down. When this happens I get out of it a little. Why is the prop losing bite with more weight in the boat? I'm still running just a few bumps above neutral trim.
    Last edited by big_o_tom; 09-22-2020 at 04:44 AM.

my boat didnt want to run over 81 with a 30et unless i over trimmed it to get the bow to lift,, the 30 had no bow lift to it so i sent it off got the roll taken out of it and cup addedto it, made a world of difference best i have been now is 95 and im neg trim now, your prop could just need to be worked some

5. Member
    The prop might need some work, I don't know, it looks pretty good to me. I don't think that's the issue here though. The boat is the same as 2 weeks ago when it would do 80+ very easy, except it has about 12 more gallons of gas and I bought the gas at a different store. An extra 100 lbs of fuel should make the boat ride lower in the water which I think should make the prop grab the water better. But it is loosing bite somehow.
    Last edited by big_o_tom; 09-22-2020 at 10:49 PM.

6. Member
    Something has to be off that boat should be 90+ all day

7. Member
    Thats my goal, 90mph. So close yet so far away.

8. Member
    I dropped the motor 1/4" today, I figured the prop being in the water a little more should help keep the bow from doing its little bounce. I started witj 24 gallons of fuel and an empty boat. Trimmed the motor all the way down and planed off. Ran a little bit then trimmed to neutral trim, ran up to 65. Two or three small bumps of trim and its at 75, doing fine and hardly no chine walk. Another bump and it keeps climbing 76, 77 and then it holds steady at 77.?, another bump and its over 78 and it starts to do the bow bounce. I tried a few more runs and headed home.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    The prop might need some work, I don't know, it looks pretty good to me.
    Unless you've got a really trained eye, there's more to it than looks. Cup is measured in .010" and a pitch block is really required to check the consistency of the blades.

10. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Something stuck out in your explanation. Are you sure you have the boat prop to pad measurement AND neutral trim measured accurately? Reason I ask is you say you are trimmed to neutral then you keep bumping and bumping then you get the bow bounce. And at neutral trim you are only at 65?? I would think that at neutral trim you should be in the 80's but hey, I never drove a XB2003 into the 80's.

What are you using while driving that indicates neutral trim?
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

11. Member
    Absolutely 100% on the prop to pad measurement. 2' level on the pad, crank the trailer jack until the pad is level, put a level on the prop shift and trim the motor until shaft is level. I use a 7' piece of aluminum angle under the boat, level it then measure the pad and shaft. Once the shaft is level i turn the key on and see where the trim gauge is for neutral trim. Its always at the middle of the "M" on the gauge.
    The thing is that it was doing awsome and then a week later with 12 more gallons of gas it started bouncing the bow and acting a little weird around 80.

12. Member
    Ok, I got home from Ft. Knox yesterday after a 28 day course and took the boat out for a spin. 12 gallons of gas, right at 6000 rpms, 78 mph and the bow starts the bounce . Is it possible that the prop has lost some of its cup or "biting" ability? I think I'll swap it out for the 26 or 28 and drop the 27 off at east tenn prop.

13. Member
    You need to get a fellow Allison owner to help you get the setup right.

Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    Ok, I got home from Ft. Knox yesterday after a 28 day course and took the boat out for a spin. 12 gallons of gas, right at 6000 rpms, 78 mph and the bow starts the bounce . Is it possible that the prop has lost some of its cup or "biting" ability? I think I'll swap it out for the 26 or 28 and drop the 27 off at east tenn prop.
    Might wanna call them first. I stopped by a week or 2 ago to say hey. Joes only there about a day a week right now and they’re about a month behind on work, been slammed down there this year. May be starting to slow some now though. One of these days I’d like to meet you, go out and see what she’s doin.
    Last edited by silverbullet02; 11-09-2020 at 06:24 AM.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

15. Member
    I'll be sure to check with them before I go to the shop. We will have to meet up on the lake sometime for sure.

I posted this a long time ago on page 2.Your hull being a 1995 has a different design as far as the pad in relation to the transom. Long and Short of it is it requires 2" less setback compared to a 1996+ hull so your 11" is like 13" on a newer hull. Try a 26 Hoss hyperdrive in 3 or 4 blade if you can. You could add bobs spacers but I ran 9" alone then added 4" spacers and saw no change other then it slightly hurt my holeshot.
    Over hubs like a big ear chopper, hoss hyperdrive or PP drag 4 will all be faster topend then the trophy. Your issue with the bow dropping points to you running too high and/or over trimming and losing bite. Drop the motor 3/8" and see how it handles. Btw your topend set up good with a good topend running prop may be anywhere from 88-93, lots of variables. You may have too much weight in front of the drivers seat for the engine height your running too leading to losing bite.

17. Member
    New update, empty boat, less than 12 gallons of gas. 14" jack plate, 1/2" above pad, 26 trophy. Planed off good then trimmed to neutral trim. Ran 5000 rpm's for a minute then 5500, I forgot the speeds but at 6050 rpm's I was running 78.1 wot.
    I did a turn around and had the sun at my back, got back up to 78 and bumped the trim once or twice and the nose started doing the little bounce again. I still can't believe how good it did back in the summer when I first put the 14" plate on it compared to the last 4 or 5 times I've ran it since. I'm going to try my 28 trophy next and see how it does.

18. Member
    70s is a transition area as far as lift. Once it crosses 80 and is on the pad, if the boat is balanced it will lock in and go with a lot less wheel work. But you should be able to drive in the 70s, the 80s is just easier..... is there a local fellow Allison owner around to confirm setup is correct. If someone can’t jump in and run it easily something’s need change...

19. Member
    Update, I put the 28 trophy on yesterday and went fishing with a buddy, full fishing gear, 18 gallons of has and water in the live well. Boat planned off decent and done ok.
    Took it out today with no fishing gear, 12 gallons of gas and started making passes. I ended up breaking my pb of 85 mph and went 88.5 mph. I was doing 81.7 at 5500 rpm's, 86.7 at 5900 rpm's and I don't know how many rpms at 88.5 mph.
    Oh yeah, I planned off and then went to neutral trim then proceeded to w.o.t., that didn't work today, I couldn't drive it, bow high and squirrely. Trimmed down about 4 or 5 bumps and then went w.o.t. and let it settle then started coming back up.
    At 88.5 I was probably a bump or so below neutral trim. I'm very happy with the runs today but this boat still don't make sense to me how it has been doing. But anyway I'm getting closer to my goal of 90mph!!!

20. Member
    So, ever since running 88.5 mph a few week's ago I have been pondering this in my mind...my boat is supposed to run best with a 12" jack plate, I have a 14" on it now. When I had a 9" plate with the 28 trophy at 1/4" below pad all it would do was 82 mph at 6200 rpm. Now with the 14" plate and the 28 trophy at 1/2" above pad it does 81/82 mph at 5500 rpm. And this is at well below neutral trim. So why is this?
    Maybe the optimum plate isn't a 12", maybe it is 12" or more?
    Why did the prop have more slip at 9" setback and 1/4" below pad than at 14" setback and 1/2" above pad?
    Just a few things I've been thinking about...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast