Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Well I believe I may have messed up. The other day when I put the mazco on without a thrust washer it did some damage to the lower unit. The slope on the prop shaft matched the slope on the front of the re3, I put it on and tightened down the nut. Then I spun the prop and everything looked fine, prop was spinning straight and there were no rubbing noises. Well I took the re3 off last night to put it in my truck because I was gonna stop by tri county marine today and I see the damage.
    Apparently when a prop is in forward it will push the prop shaft in a little more that when it is free spinning in neutral. The front of the prop had ground down the rear of the gear case where the seal is, and while this was happening the front of the blades hit the skeg and bent a small part of the corner over to the other side, opposite of the torque tab.
    Ughh.

2. Member
    Well things aren't all that bad with the lower unit, hopefully. Mechanic says there are two seals, the outer goes in from the outside to keep out water. So I'm really not worried about that at all and the skeg straightened up good with a rubber hammer and a 2lb hammer.
    So now I'm back to running a good ole faithfull trophy. I put the 26 on this time. I guess I need to stay away from the 3 blade props, apparently they're bad luck for me.

3. Member
    My favorite props on my xb2003 with a 225x are a 28et ,28 pro et and 27 trophy plus

4. Member
    I'm taking my 27 and 28 trophies with me this morning, if the crowds hold off a bit I may try all three.

5. Member
    Propshaft is still a 1/4" above pad, the 26 trophy holeshot without any vent plugs was ok. 78 mph was the fastest I got it. I did notice 77.5 mph at 6000 rpms. I still had about 8 good bumps up on the trim but I was a little worried about that. I believe my trim sensor needs adjusting because the gauge is showing max trim in a different spot than before. I tried the 27 trophy also, 77 was my max but as with the 26 I still had a lot of trim left.

6. Member
    My 26 Trophy would run 86 at the 6850 limiter on my 2003/225X. My 27 will bump 90 with a light load. 14” set back and 1/4” below the pad.

7. Member
    What year is your xb2003? And is your 225 a 3.0 liter motor?

8. Member
    2000 boat, 225X was the last version of the 2.5 ProMax

9. Member
    So you have the later hull which is best with a 14"set back and I have the earlier hull which needs 12".
    When your running wot, how much trim do you have left? I think I can get into the 70's on just neutral trim but that last 10/15 mph takes a lot of trim.

10. Member
    My set back is actually 14.5”. 9” Allison static plus 5.5” CMC hydraulic. Trim at speed varies, depending on load and if the prop is a bow or stern lifter. Before the 2000 I had a 1994 XB2003/225 ProMax with the 2” pad forward offset. I tried several set backs on it, more and less than 14.5” and never really got it dialed in. I started with a 280 on the 2000 when it was new and it was always easier to drive than 1994 with either motor. All this with a stock 1.87 SportMaster.

11. Member
    Did both your boats have the stock lip?

12. Member
    Yes, the lips were both stock, never damaged or modified.

13. Member
    Don’t get caught up in which boat needs which setback. Most 2003s run 14” and run great. You’ll end up with a bit of trim on the big end. Don’t use the trim gauge, they’re horribly inconsistent. Just go out and drive drive drive. Drive till you’re comfortable at 70 for miles. Then go to 75 for miles. That’s the only way you’ll get it. Don’t try to break any records. Just drive the boat, trim up and down, feel it out in the mid range speeds. The only way to learn these boats is seat time. Of course if you’re playing with a bent skeg that’s probably not gonna help anything.

I mentioned you should try a Hoss hyperdrive, I ran multiple choppers, et cut, drag 4, srx by Dah,trophy, 4 blade Spinelli,4 blade Hoss and 3 blade Hoss hyperdrive. Maybe a few others, I can tell you the Hoss drove nicer then them all and performance was on par with any of them. Try one of you can, drag 4 runs different but nice too.

15. Member
    The fella I bought the mazco from has a boss for sale, I dont know what model it is though. Right now I'm a little bit prop buying shy, twice I've bought a 3 blade from someone fairly local, twice I've been burnt, I will add probably not intentionally but burnt is burnt. Three times I bought props off of the bbc from all over the country and three times I received a good prop.

16. Member
    I have just installed a new (used) jackplate. It can be adjusted with the addition of my 2"spacers from 10, 11, 12, 13, 14". It is setting at 3/4" above pad, which is as high as it will go without a little machine work to gain another inch. I had been running 11" setback at 1/4" above pad. I'm not sure but I felt that the motor could've came up a little more. I'm hoping to run it tomorrow, I will post my results. Also I think I'm going to get one of those jackplate skid planner things. Who do I need to contact for one of those?
    Last edited by big_o_tom; 09-08-2020 at 09:33 PM.

17. Member
    Call Bill at Allison for the planer. I would drop the motor to 1/4 above the pad and try it first. You can always jack it up later, but you don’t want to start at too high of a jackplate setting. If a motor is too high, oftentimes you will lose bite by the prop on the water. If you lose bite, the bow falls and then the deep vee is steering, not you. Depending on all environmental conditions, gearcase shape, load, speed and where you are in relation to other objects, the effect of the bow falling can vary from no big deal, boat goes straight, to you hook 90 degrees and contact another boat or the bank. Never intentionally run close to something on your right at high speed In an Allison. Experience teaches us these things. I’m just trying to let you know before you have to experience it yourself. It can take an unbelievably long time once you have a blowout before you can steer again. The bow is down and the rear is up and the skeg doesn’t have enough water contact to be able to steer until the boat scrubs off a lot of speed. If you’re headed for another object like a boat dock or the bank, this can seem like an eternity and be quite frightening. If you’re running your motor on the high side, sometimes something simple like a prop change can make you too high for that jackplate setting. Prop diameter has a lot to do with this.
    Last edited by Gary Morgan; 09-09-2020 at 05:16 AM.

18. Member
    I went ahead and dropped the motor down to 1/2" above pad. The last time I ran it it was at 1/4" above and I was going to raise it to 1/2" above anyway. So let's go see how it does.

19. Member
    The boat did way better than I expected at 14" setback. I hit 80mph so many times, fastest was 84.4. I think at one time I was doing 82mph at 6200rpm, this is with a 27 trophy plus. Gonna get some more seat time with it light then put all 30lbs of tackle and 10 rods back in it and see how it does.

20. Member
    And one thing I forgot to add, I think my boat got on "pad" at 83 mph. The handling changed a little and there was a definite change in the sound of the water hitting the hull.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast