Garmin livescope 12 volt vs. 24 volt results

For those of you questioning whether 12 volts or 24 volts produces better imaging on your livescope, here is a side by side comparison we did. Let us know your thoughts!!

Thank you.

2009 LEGEND ALPHA 211/MERCURY 250 PRO XS

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Interesting on the 24 volt....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

4. Member
    It is my theory that people are putting all their graphs and gls10’s on their cranking batteries and when that 12v drains they don’t have enough power on the gls10. That is the reason to power the gls10 with 24-32v, so that when the battery’s drain you still have over 12v powering the gls10. It might not show a difference in screen returns on your test, but fish an 8 hour day and don’t run around with the big motor and see what the difference is.
    BassCat Cougar FTD w/Suzuki 250SS

5. Member
    i think if you are getting enough volts with one battery than more volts is not going to help,as you said.i also tried it and saw no difference,

6. Member
    If your dipping below 12 volts at any time, your definitely going to have performance degradation regardless if it's livescope, side imaging, down imaging, 2d etc. each one draws more power than the other for "that picture." Running multiple units only makes the decrease in performance happen quicker. Getting the wiring correct and the power source is key. You can have the best battery money can buy and if your wiring is not calculated correctly you will have issues. Same with the wiring, you can run solid wire or even overkill and if your power source isn't the greatest you'll have issues.

Regardless what brand units you run the instruction manuals are written as if your only running that one unit, they have no idea if your running one unit or multiples. They will recommend the "required" wiring size to power that one unit only. Mix in multiple units or accessories drawing from the same battery source and your electrical recipe for a headache just began. Of course the longer the wire the more degradation you have before it reaches the unit it will power. That is extremely important when running wire. I run four 12" units and livescope and ended up rewiring my boat three times before I could meet the power amp draw demand, and each time I was running heavier gauge marine tinned copper wire than I should have by calculation. Everything works great now but my point is a lot of issues are in the wiring and or the battery specifications. Once I was able to successfully run everything all day on one AGM, I moved to lithium for the consistent voltage insurance.

*Note, notice the funny commercials / videos that show anglers loading generators on the decks of their boats in order to power all these fancy features we gotta have. . . if that's not the truth. Pretty soon we will need a dingy in tow with a mini power station. Let's face it, we love technology, and all these new incredible features aka "pictures" the manufacturers are coming out with are great, and they are equally great at marketing them because that's what sells their product. So many factors to consider in order to get "that picture" and for me the proper power is the key ingredient. Great example is KVD now runs four Solix's with MEGA 360, not to mention his Hydrowave, livewell recirc and aeration etc, and he's running two Lithium Pro's in parallel on the cranking side. Just my thoughts from my personal woes.

7. Banned
    My installer fishes with 2 solix and one helix on the console, two garmin with LS, Mege 360 and Helix 12 on the bow. He convinced me to switch to Mtech lithium cranking when we ran his units all day with no sleep mode and pumps on auto. After his two 12 hours trips with no issues I was convinced. Best investment I have made in awhile. If I was a tournament guy still two 12's in parallel would work for me :-)

I watched the video and based on my experience with circuits I'm saying the 24 volts is switched to 12 internally and it makes no difference if you have a good 12volt setup to start with.

Did anyone else notice they stayed shallow. Can't see a dead spot in shallow water :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked247 View Post
    If your dipping below 12 volts at any time, your definitely going to have performance degradation regardless if it's livescope, side imaging, down imaging, 2d etc. each one draws more power than the other for "that picture." Running multiple units only makes the decrease in performance happen quicker. Getting the wiring correct and the power source is key. You can have the best battery money can buy and if your wiring is not calculated correctly you will have issues. Same with the wiring, you can run solid wire or even overkill and if your power source isn't the greatest you'll have issues.

Regardless what brand units you run the instruction manuals are written as if your only running that one unit, they have no idea if your running one unit or multiples. They will recommend the "required" wiring size to power that one unit only. Mix in multiple units or accessories drawing from the same battery source and your electrical recipe for a headache just began. Of course the longer the wire the more degradation you have before it reaches the unit it will power. That is extremely important when running wire. I run four 12" units and livescope and ended up rewiring my boat three times before I could meet the power amp draw demand, and each time I was running heavier gauge marine tinned copper wire than I should have by calculation. Everything works great now but my point is a lot of issues are in the wiring and or the battery specifications. Once I was able to successfully run everything all day on one AGM, I moved to lithium for the consistent voltage insurance.

*Note, notice the funny commercials / videos that show anglers loading generators on the decks of their boats in order to power all these fancy features we gotta have. . . if that's not the truth. Pretty soon we will need a dingy in tow with a mini power station. Let's face it, we love technology, and all these new incredible features aka "pictures" the manufacturers are coming out with are great, and they are equally great at marketing them because that's what sells their product. So many factors to consider in order to get "that picture" and for me the proper power is the key ingredient. Great example is KVD now runs four Solix's with MEGA 360, not to mention his Hydrowave, livewell recirc and aeration etc, and he's running two Lithium Pro's in parallel on the cranking side. Just my thoughts from my personal woes.