propshaft seals '82 115

I'm replacing the propshaft seals on my '82 115. I noticed the ones I pulled out were both facing the same direction with both of them facing out towards the prop. I have heard the inner seal faces the gearcase and the outer one faces the prop (back to back). Is this correct or does it matter?
    Todd Savage
    '93 Javelin 363 FS
    '82 115 Johnson

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    you are correct and it does matter.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Member
    Ok, thanks. I've had this motor 9 years and never had an issue til last year. I kept the fluid changed every 3-4 trips, but now it gets quite a bit of water after just one trip. I've put it off long enough and now going to replace them.
    Todd Savage
    '93 Javelin 363 FS
    '82 115 Johnson

4. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Make sure you replace carrier o-ring/4 carrier retaining bolt seals/driveshaft seals and o-ring/shift rod o-ring/new drain plug gaskets. Get it pressure tested afterwards...may be more than 1 seal/o-ring leaking.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

5. Member
    I have not pulled the carrier. I got the old seals out with a screwdriver and seal puller. I was very careful and never touched the prop shaft and they actually came out easier than I thought they would. If it still allows water after new prop shaft seals, I’ll have to get a puller and pull the carrier, drop the foot and do the shift rod and driveshaft, etc. Trying to keep from doing all that, but if I have to then so be it.
    Todd Savage
    '93 Javelin 363 FS
    '82 115 Johnson