Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar

Anyone Collect Hot Wheels?

Thinking about starting a collection for my 2 year old boy. He prob has 200 opened hot wheels already but thinking about starting one and keeping them in package. Anyone do this? Whats the best way to start out?
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

2. Member
    Might be tough for a 2 yr old to understand to keep them in the package and not play with them. I have a few. They are probably not worth much just some that I saw that I thought looked cool. I loved Hot Wheels and Matchbox as a kid.

3. Member
    My kid got super into hotwheels from ages 3-6 (3-4 years ago). I listened to hotwheels youtube videos on his tablet near constantly. There was one guy that goes by RaceGrooves that has a massive collection. I started trying to figure out how to find the special "rare" ones that are being produced these days - called Treasure Hunts, or Super Treasure Hunts - where there may be one in 2-3 cases of the things. I quickly realized you'd have to hit every toy store, retailer, etc on a regular basis to see if they had new stock, or to buy unopened boxes from them outright in order to even find any of these. Plus you had to know what you were looking for - sometimes the difference is that the car gets a metallic paint job and redline wheels instead of the standard stuff and they only make 1 for every 2000 of the regular version.

4. Member
    Buy him partial shares of Amazon, Apple, or something like that.

Or, maybe just display some of the 200 he already has, for him to keep as he grows up.

5. Member
    I know a guy that as a kid back in the late 60's and through the 70's and even into the 80's would buy 2 of every car/truck, one to play with and one he kept in the package. Sold the whole collection in 2010 and used the $$ to buy himself a Shelby Cobra. It is getting harder to collect toys since companies are making SO many now that nothing is rare and will increase in value. Or they make "limited editions of xxxx" and charge 3 times the price of the common version. Same thing happened to the baseball card market, over production and 4 different "lines" of cards by the same company caused the values to crash.

Buy him savings bonds or something.

6. Banned
    I wish I would of. I didn't have many and most of them were pretty busted up though.

7. Member
    Man I wish I had all of mine back. Those and matchbox too

Save your time and $$$$

Nothing of today will become a valuable collectible like when we were kids. Just too many on the market.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

9. Banned
    I did... But they went the same route as my baseball card collection... Mom tossed them out when I went away to college... Dan

10. Member
    I’ve decided over the years that collecting things that can’t be used is a waste of money...

yeah, they’ll be worth money someday.. I get it.. but who’s gonna pay said money?

just because a book or appraiser says a rock or stick is worth $20,000, who’s paying $20,000 for it?

I agree with buying the shares in amazon or some other stocks.. better return investment in my opinion..

Im not the norm on this board tho and live pretty much paycheck to paycheck and prefer to spend my play money on things I need or can use..

I have a friend that does. Been doing since he was a kid (he’s 60 +/- now)

Has many rare ones.

Just one space, of many, he stores them.
    879044BB-EA85-4443-AD8D-5875F4D6B54E.jpeg
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day

Teach a man to fish, he will complain that you stole his fishing spot.

12. Member
    We bought our son 1 or 2 every time we went to a store for years he had 410 we nailed them around the top of his wall he had some that were worth $7-$12 dollars ,but when we moved the last time we lost several plastic tubs, we haven't found any of them or my wife's porcelain bell collection,those were worth several $$$$$$

We have about 200 from when I was a kid, and my kids were kids. Those of mine include some Matchbox cars that are diecast with solid axles that are 50+ years old. My sons’ collections include Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars.
    Reminds me I need to dig those out and sell them.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marshman View Post
    I’ve decided over the years that collecting things that can’t be used is a waste of money...

yeah, they’ll be worth money someday.. I get it.. but who’s gonna pay said money?

just because a book or appraiser says a rock or stick is worth $20,000, who’s paying $20,000 for it?

I agree with buying the shares in amazon or some other stocks.. better return investment in my opinion..

Im not the norm on this board tho and live pretty much paycheck to paycheck and prefer to spend my play money on things I need or can use..
    You should see some of the comic book auctions. It is amazing what people will pay for a graded comic book. A difference in grade between a 9.2 to even a 9.4 can be $$$$.

15. Banned
    Curious why a 2 year old needs 200 hot wheels....

16. Member
    There's 2 bins of Beanie Babies in my basement. Let the bidding begin!

17. Member
    I still have my redlines from the sixties

18. Member
    I have probably between 80 to 100 from the years 66 thru 72. Unfortunately they are beat to hell from all the playing. I use to get 50 cents a week allowance if I did all my chores. Every week my mom would take me to Dixie mart where they were 50 cents a piece.

I have a couple hundred from the early 70s in a bucket. They were played with and raced a lot. I also have some of the big metal Tonka Trucks and graders from the same time period.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

I stumbled across this gem over the weekend. I was very intrigued by it and contemplated what it would be like to have it. The asking price was $20,500 though!

IMG_5543.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast