New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

Strong smell of gas when I open the bilge hatch??

for a while now after I get home and straighten up the boat and stuff and prepare to put the chargers on ,when I open the rear cover I get a strong smell of gas .Don't see any leaks or anything have new lines and not wet anywhere. What should I check ? I leave the lid open when charging anyway but just curious where this smell could be coming from.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

Fuel fumes are always a reason to be concerned. You mentioned new lines ... did you replace the fill hose and the vent line also? That would be my first thought.

3. Member
    Check the gasket to your fuel tank sending unit. If it hasn't been changed in 30 years, it may be dry and cracked. I replaced the gasket to mine, and it solved the problem.

Many places... inspect it thoroughly.

5. Member
    As stated above, gasket on fuel sending unit.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

6. Member
    No way I'd drive that boat or charge it till I solved that problem.That's just me...….

7. Member
    I had this issue and removed tank ( 2x) and replaced sending unit and gasket, still smelled. Gas cap cover got knocked off getting too close to a tree and when I went to replace it, fuel fill hose came out like an accordian... it had given way in the middle and was leaking every time I filled it up.

8. Banned
    Possible crack at top of gas tank, too high to leak, but emitting fumes.

9. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    $ years ago I had to take the tanks out when I had some work done to the transom and we replaced or checked all hoses fill and vent and so on when we did that ,gonna try the sending unit gaskets for now will keep searching as I go hopefully can narrow it down.

10. Member
    How old are the tanks? Some of the poly tanks permeate which add to the gas smell. I tried replacing my sending units and the inserts stripped out making the tank useless. Might get two aluminum tanks made because of the difficulty of finding an exact replacement of mine. Good luck.

11. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    original tanks on a 1990 Ranger ,while they were out we cleaned and inspected all looked good then .

12. Member
    When I changed my sending units, I acetone-wiped everything and used fuel-resistant RTV on the gaskets. No issues after a year.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

13. Member
    odors will leak through plastic fuel tanks if it doesn't smell like fresh liquid fuel it might be that?? if I leave all my lids shut for weeks, I get a hint of fuel odor but not a fresh fuel smell. leaving lids open a little cures all the issues
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

^^This^^

15. Member
    My 2000 522 always had gas order. A person from Ranger told me that my 2013 Z522 did not do that because they had changed the gas tanks they put in ranger. Apparently a problem back in the days.

Quote Originally Posted by OnTRAK View Post
    Check the gasket to your fuel tank sending unit. If it hasn't been changed in 30 years, it may be dry and cracked. I replaced the gasket to mine, and it solved the problem.
    THIS !!!!! Leak may only be visible while you are getting up on plane , as gasoline is forced against the sending unit when bow raises or when tank is FULL .

I own a 2002, 1775 Lund ProV. I am 2nd owner bought it in 2006. Original owner told me that he always opened the back battery hatch, bow battery hatch, and center rod locker since day 1 because of gas smell. I had stored indoors without a cover up until the last 2 winters. I just leave battery hatches open when cover is on. Never been a huge issue, I just make sure all covers are open before plugging in chargers, which I would do regardless. Most every boat owner I know personally opens hatches after fishing in general, or before charging.
    If you never had an issue before and do now, then of course you need to fix the problem.

Does your setup have that big round rigging hose that encloses all the wiring, fuel line in one hard plastic hose from the boat to the motor?

My does and when I sealed it off it helped mine. Gas fumes will seek to go to the lowest point they can so they will travel from inside the motor cover to the boat via the rigging tube.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!