Ranger Trail disc brakes not releasing

2001 Ranger Trail dual axle with UFP A60 actuator, DB42 calipers and a UFP 32220 reverse lockout solenoid. The DB42 caliplers are new, brakes bled. Once actuated, the brakes one release on ocassion. Not sure if it is just after backing up or if its after normal braking. Any known problems based on these symptoms? I need this fixed in 2 weeks for a trip, thinking about replacing the actuator and reverse lockout both just to be done with it but don't like throwing unnecessary parts at it either, I'm sure removing the actuator pins will be a pain as old as the trailer is so the reverse solenoid would be the easiest.

Sounds like the actuator is hanging up. That trailer is 19 yrs old, if you've never rebuilt the actuator, Master Cylinder, shock, and spring, NOW is the time. It should resolve your problem.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    Don't bother rebuilding it! Just buy a complete unit. Much easier and faster. Not a bad job.

4. Member
    Thanks guys, I'll try the assembly - hopefully that works. Any suggestions for driving the pins out besides a 5lb hammer and a big drift pin?

Mine knocked out pretty easy. Use a piece of aluminum or brass stock to knock them out.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    Mine knocked out pretty easy. Use a piece of aluminum or brass stock to knock them out.
    Where do you find a piece of aluminum or brass stock - Lowes?

Get a wooden dowel and cut to fit so you can keep everything in tact when removing the old actuator and installing the new one. After the new one is installed, push the wooden dowels through with the new metal pins.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Get a wooden dowel and cut to fit so you can keep everything in tact when removing the old actuator and installing the new one. After the new one is installed, push the wooden dowels through with the new metal pins.
    This is what I did also. Took about 10 minutes to replace it, not including bleeding the brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    You can use a piece of aluminum, brass, wood or plastic as others have suggested. Just don't use steel punch.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

10. Member
    New master cylinder assembly fixed it, works great now. Thanks for the help!