Sandbridge VA bass fishing back bay

Hey all,
    I will be visiting Sandbridge va again here in 2 days for a week trip. This year I decided to pull the bass boat down with me. We are staying on the freshwater side of Sandbridge. Last year I messed around with a kayak and was able to get a 5lb largie in the back canal where we were staying. The names of the bays are back bay, shipps bay, north bay, they all connect to currituck sound. Are these waterways easily navigable? Anything I should look out for? Any good fishing tips?

2. Member
    Back bay is coming back. We used to launch in Sandbridge at a campground to fish back bay to avoid the run across from the West side. I don't know if they still allow it. Best bass fishing IMO is around the Sandbridge area of the bay. Lots of small private ramps around the canals. North Bay Shore Campground has a ramp but its small and a little tight. The Princess Ann Wildlife ramp is probably the best ramp. Find the grass and you'll find some bass. Good luck and enjoy your trip

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    There is a ramp on Currituck Sound in Gandy next to Barry's on Walnut Island - used to pay a small fee in the restaurant. You can easily access a number of canals along the west side of the Sound, good spring spawning areas but I'm not sure where the bass go for the summer. Note that it has been 20 years since I've been there but I used to bring a small boat down from PA and we really caught a lot of fish over Easter weekend. Also got my first speeding ticket while towing a boat! Hey, we were running late for the morning bite! Let us know how you do.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

I can vouch for the North Bay Campground ramp. If the wind is blowing out of the north for a few days, it can get skinny. However, this time of year you shouldn’t have that problem. Otherwise, I know that ramp will handle a Ranger Z21 with no issues.

5. Member
    I ended up launching at Mill landing. Fished a lot of the grass islands between shipps and sand bay. Also fished around sandbridge. We caught some bass nothing crazy. It’s amazing how good everything looks but I literally couldn’t get them to touch a frog. Threw several variations of them too. Also wouldn’t touch a chatter bait. Only thing we would get them on was weightless Texas riffed senkos and rage bugs with a 1/8 weight

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Throw the ole Johnson chrome spoon and trailer.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri