Thread: hull blisters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hull blisters.

I was taking a closer look this past weekend at the hull of my 2006 pantera classic and noticed thousands of blisters where the hull sits on bunks of trailer. My boat is on a boat lift all summer and does not sit on the trailer so I suspect these are from previous owner. The blisters have start popping in spots leaving fairly big holes in the gel. Is their a way to fix these issues with out spending thousands of dollars. Should I be worried or can I fill them with epoxy resin as they break? From what I understand the life time warranty does not cover blisters right?

2. Member
    Take it to a good glass repair shop and have them repaired then get yourself some gatorbaks and never worry again.

No cheap fix....but needs to fixed sooner than later. You’d be surprised at the number of boats that come through my shop with blisters and the customers have no clue they’re there.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Member
    Warranty does not cover blisters. PM me and I will give you the contact info for a fantastic glass man in the Bobcaygeon area. He has done work for me in the past.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

No bass boat company’s factory warranty covers blistering.

We have well documented the changes in resins Post MACT EPA era and the challenges the newer resins presented. Prior to this we had a pure Vinyl Ester resin that was an awesome product. That product changed due to MACT requirements. The era from 2004 through 2012 was the largest factor. The resin companies were not yet up to speed on products by 2004, R&D was saddled with less investment going into the 2007-2010 economy. By 2013 we had most of this managed and in 2015 we were able to move back to more Vinyl Ester resin on our Premium line.

Still, even with VE Barrier coats and VE resins blisters are still a potential issue, just at a much lower ratio.

For the record Bass Cat’s experience less of this than other brands due to the materials quality. Later models ever so much less prone to blistering. We tend to step out and be willing to talk about things and thus our comments get shared and the feelings of blistering become tied to us based on that.

We always have been and are transparent in most situations where we can be.

BCB
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 07-06-2020 at 09:27 PM.

6. Member
    What do these blisters look like? Anyone have pics?

7. Member
    How common is this on bass boats?

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    No bass boat company’s factory warranty covers blistering.

We have well documented the changes in resins Post MACT EPA era and the challenges the newer resins presented. Prior to this we had a pure Vinyl Ester resin that was an awesome product. That product changed due to MACT requirements. The era from 2004 through 2012 was the largest factor. The resin companies were not yet up to speed on products by 2004, R&D was saddled with less investment going into the 2007-2010 economy. By 2013 we had most of this managed and in 2015 we were able to move back to more Vinyl Ester resin on our Premium line.

Still, even with VE Barrier coats and VE resins blisters are still a potential issue, just at a much lower ratio.

8. Member
    they will definitely have to be fixed but with out short season in canada im not willing to put my boat aside for months if i dont have too. Can i just epoxy them as they break until fall/winter?

You can. It all has to be ground out, refilled, body worked and sprayed anyway....
    www.ncboatguy.com

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kram31 View Post
    they will definitely have to be fixed but with out short season in canada im not willing to put my boat aside for months if i dont have too. Can i just epoxy them as they break until fall/winter?
    With such a short season, I would use the boat this season, than put it in the shop when the cold hits.
    As long as the fiberglass isnt exposed it shouldnt be an issue.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    With such a short season, I would use the boat this season, than put it in the shop when the cold hits.
    As long as the fiberglass isnt exposed it shouldnt be an issue.

Don
    When the blister breaks the fiberglass is exposed and will start to delaminate over time. The breaking of the blister is caused by the moisture under the gel coat. Gel coat has microscopic holes in it and overtime the moisture attacks the fiberglass causing the blister to form to start with. I had a Nitro Z8 that had blisters under each bunk which the bunk carpet never dried out I never dreamed that water would soak through the gel coat. I had them repaired and put the GatorBaks bunk covers on the bunks while the boat was being repaired. No problem after that. Its always makes me wonder why the majority of the boat manufacture still use a carpet which soaks every time you launch and then when you load the boat it sets on the wet carpet and if you go often enough they never dry unless you place a fan under your boat while parked in your garage.. Where as the GatorBaks drain off the bunks when you pull the boat out of the water and pull your boat home. There are guys say the GatorBaks scratched the bottom of their boat and yes they can but you put the trailer a little deeper and float your boat on the trailer. There are spray silicone products which will allow easer loading. The newer GatorBaks are supposedly softer and easier to load. I never had a problem with loading the Z8 and no scratches on the bottom.
    2019 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 Pro SX
    4 Stroke 2B591496

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hekistner View Post
    When the blister breaks the fiberglass is exposed and will start to delaminate over time. The breaking of the blister is caused by the moisture under the gel coat. Gel coat has microscopic holes in it and overtime the moisture attacks the fiberglass causing the blister to form to start with. I had a Nitro Z8 that had blisters under each bunk which the bunk carpet never dried out I never dreamed that water would soak through the gel coat. I had them repaired and put the GatorBaks bunk covers on the bunks while the boat was being repaired. No problem after that. Its always makes me wonder why the majority of the boat manufacture still use a carpet which soaks every time you launch and then when you load the boat it sets on the wet carpet and if you go often enough they never dry unless you place a fan under your boat while parked in your garage.. Where as the GatorBaks drain off the bunks when you pull the boat out of the water and pull your boat home. There are guys say the GatorBaks scratched the bottom of their boat and yes they can but you put the trailer a little deeper and float your boat on the trailer. There are spray silicone products which will allow easer loading. The newer GatorBaks are supposedly softer and easier to load. I never had a problem with loading the Z8 and no scratches on the bottom.
    EXACTLY

13. Member
    BCB tested the Gator Baks a few years ago for their boats. For some reason they don't work on Cats. Think it had something to do with the design of the rear portion of the hull.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

We have very Sharp chines for desired performance and handling, and they tended to cut the GatorBak bunks.

15. Member
    Ok I understand why this happens. My question is how do you dry bunks with your boat sitting on the trailer.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    We have very Sharp chines for desired performance and handling, and they tended to cut the GatorBak bunks.
    I noticed my GatorBak bunks are beginning to show tears and cuts in a couple of places, but I still think they are better than carpet as they dry very quickly and my trips back home are only 30 minutes.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
    Ok I understand why this happens. My question is how do you dry bunks with your boat sitting on the trailer.

I keep a blower fan on the floor of the garage and when I put the boat in the garage after a trip or after washing the boat I put my fan blowing under the boat. I have no idea if this helps but in my head it does so i keep doing it. I figure moving air can't hurt for sure.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

18. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I had a 2009 CougarFTD for 6 years. It never developed blisters. When I got home from fishing, I cranked the dolly jack up really high. Water seemed to drain off the carpeted bunks. I don't know if that really made any difference or not. I now have a 2015 Caracal, which has the premium resin, etc. I still crank it up when I put it in the garage.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

19. Member
    Plenty of threads with stories of carpeted bunks causing blisters. If a bassboat that’s prone to them is left in the water will blisters develop?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

Any boat brand, style, etc left in water is prone to blister....
    www.ncboatguy.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast