Thread: hull blisters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    No bass boat company’s factory warranty covers blistering.

We have well documented the changes in resins Post MACT EPA era and the challenges the newer resins presented. Prior to this we had a pure Vinyl Ester resin that was an awesome product. That product changed due to MACT requirements. The era from 2004 through 2012 was the largest factor. The resin companies were not yet up to speed on products by 2004, R&D was saddled with less investment going into the 2007-2010 economy. By 2013 we had most of this managed and in 2015 we were able to move back to more Vinyl Ester resin on our Premium line.

Still, even with VE Barrier coats and VE resins blisters are still a potential issue, just at a much lower ratio.

For the record Bass Cat’s experience less of this than other brands due to the materials quality. Later models ever so much less prone to blistering. We tend to step out and be willing to talk about things and thus our comments get shared and the feelings of blistering become tied to us based on that.

We always have been and are transparent in most situations where we can be.

BCB
    So is it still a blister if there is gelcoat missing in spots that do not come into contact with the bunks? Like the edges of the chines and middle section of the pad?

No, those are chips in most cases. Those generally had some form of impact on the corners and the corners are exposed to forces that can allow chipping on the 90 degree faces, also exposure to rocks and obstacles.

3. Member
    No, those are chips in most cases. Those generally had some form of impact on the corners and the corners are exposed to forces that can allow chipping on the 90 degree faces, also exposure to rocks and obstacles.
    What if there is no spider cracking around these areas? The reason I ask is because I just spent thousands of dollars having the bottom of my boat redone due to numerous spots like this and now there is a new spot. The area around this spot is pristine. No scratches of any kind leading to it or cracking around it. Many of the original holes looked more like cavities than "chipping".

We have very Sharp chines for desired performance and handling, and they tended to cut the GatorBak bunks.
    Bass cat boats are these very sharp chines also on the 203 hybrid?
    2019 Vexus AVX 2080
    Evinrude G2 200
    Bobs Hyd. Jackplate, Dual power poles
    Aluminum trailer, polyurea flooring

Not as sharp on the running surface.

Any corner that chips from Vertical impacts leaves a really clean clamshell shaped chip on older boats. The material beneath the chip will be shiny on vertical chips.

Quote Originally Posted by crwood View Post
    What if there is no spider cracking around these areas? The reason I ask is because I just spent thousands of dollars having the bottom of my boat redone due to numerous spots like this and now there is a new spot. The area around this spot is pristine. No scratches of any kind leading to it or cracking around it. Many of the original holes looked more like cavities than "chipping".

7. Member
    Any corner that chips from Vertical impacts leaves a really clean clamshell shaped chip on older boats. The material beneath the chip will be shiny on vertical chips.
    Here is a pic of the worst one. Looks like there had been air pockets underneath the gelcoat. What I would consider a cavity waiting to crack open.F89CCB1D-8C4F-4A64-9207-832D129C4221.jpeg

It may be air in a chine and while it’s not normal it does happen. It must be impacted to be broken apart and that appears to have some material under it, that held it together.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12