Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

“Cabelas” no more. ? Maybe Midway can take their previous niche

Cabelas website now almost identical to BPS, any distinguishing features all but gone. Miss the old Cabelas before their brick and mortar demise. Maybe Midway USA will pick up the slack. They have their own clothing brand, own some jackets and pants, good quality. BPS is the Kmart of sporting goods retail.
    Last edited by Bonanza; 07-05-2020 at 06:55 PM.

Well Im guessing here but Id bet on annual sales BPS would probably be the king of the hill. Just my .02
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

3. Member
    The cabelas here is okay, at best. I'll stick with Gander and Academy.

Talking on quality of merchandise. Low end, mass produced stuff
    Tackle warehouse is refreshing to see higher end, quality items

5. Banned
    I remember when Cabelas was great. Always getting coupon codes or running great sales. I can’t remember last time I went to local store or looked at their website.

6. Banned
    Our Cabela's is empty all the time. Like I mean ghost town. I don't know how they make it.

7. Member
    I do not like that they discontinued a lot of Cabelas branded soft plastics.

Quote Originally Posted by stratos284 View Post
    Well Im guessing here but Id bet on annual sales BPS would probably be the king of the hill. Just my .02
    So was Kmart for a short time. I see BPS following the same path with over priced, low quality clothing.
    ******2008 ZX200/200 Yamaha Series 2******
    *God is great, beer is good ---- people are crazy*

9. Member
    Yes, I miss the "old" Cabela's as well. I am not a BPS hater by any means and go there as well as Cabela's. I just miss the way it used to be.

The "transformations" of Cabelas and Ranger seem to be on the same path.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I know, will be interesting to see Ranger's marketshare numbers when the 1st half of 2020 are reported. I feel like they have taken a hit.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Speaking of Ranger. I know a few people that claim Ranger is about to be sold or go the way of champion. I know there seems to be a few disgruntled on ranger board.

13. Member
    I remember all these people posting that Cabelas wasnt going anywhere. They are toast in the next couple years. Sad too because they had some good cabelas branded stuff and just a little different selection than bass pro. It also makes sense that if bass pro is slowly killing off their biggest competitors then its possible nitro may be slowly killing their biggest competitors

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix20 View Post
    Speaking of Ranger. I know a few people that claim Ranger is about to be sold or go the way of champion. I know there seems to be a few disgruntled on ranger board.
    The changes at Ranger are bottom line, not customer driven, but I don't think there is any danger of WRM selling Ranger off and certainly not closing it. It is sad when a brand of such stature, is taking it on the chin. Profit is not a dirty word, but there is a lot of Ranger brand good will be thrown away with all the changes there.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    The changes at Ranger are bottom line, not customer driven, but I don't think there is any danger of WRM selling Ranger off and certainly not closing it. It is sad when a brand of such stature, is taking it on the chin. Profit is not a dirty word, but there is a lot of Ranger brand good will be thrown away with all the changes there.
    The similarities between cabelas and ranger are near identical. I can’t imagine either being more profitable on the course they are taking.

K

17. Member
    Sad. BPS wants to become the Walmart of the bass fishing world.

Pride in ownership and creating the best possible products at competitive American values was lost with the takeover of Cabela’s.

I don’t care if Cabela’s overextended themselves and “brought this upon themselves.”

They had to know they were making a deal with the devil when BPS came into the picture.

And who suffers? All of the former cabela’s employees that made up a rich and huge part of their small communities and towns. And all of us Americans that love hunting and fishing and the outdoors.

Damn. I’m not done ranting yet, I guess!

American Values and commitment to American Quality ended in the 1980’s.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5-20 View Post
    Sad. BPS wants to become the Walmart of the bass fishing world.

Pride in ownership and creating the best possible products at competitive American values was lost with the takeover of Cabela’s.

I don’t care if Cabela’s overextended themselves and “brought this upon themselves.”

They had to know they were making a deal with the devil when BPS came into the picture.

And who suffers? All of the former cabela’s employees that made up a rich and huge part of their small communities and towns. And all of us Americans that love hunting and fishing and the outdoors.

Damn. I’m not done ranting yet, I guess!

American Values and commitment to American Quality ended in the 1980’s.
    Walmart is the second largest retailer in the world. Not exactly a bad goal to strive towards. The vast majority of people that shop at bps aren't hardcore anglers that spend their time on online fishing forums.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madmurph View Post
    Yes, I miss the "old" Cabela's as well. I am not a BPS hater by any means and go there as well as Cabela's. I just miss the way it used to be.
    Back when they truly were the "worlds foremost outfitter" It was nice having a store that size dedicated to the sportsman and serious gear for the outdoors, not to mention a resource to book hunts and trips. Now its just the place to go if you want to buy your wife a pink North Face fleece or a colored Yeti mug....

20. Member
    Cabela’s was the best at customer service and product selection opportunity.
    I have been proud to be a customer of theirs and rely on them for many, many years.
    I was sad when BPS bought them out.
    I am sad today.
    BPS never will be the store that Cabela’s was.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast